Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a signed water color from the Hertz Art Gallery

I have a signed...

I have a signed water color from the Hertz Art Gallery Lawrence, NY (pre zip code) phone CEdarhurst 9-1785. The artist signature looks like guilal. The scene is two women walking next to a canal bordered by tile roofed buildings, with a very decorative arched bridge as a prominent focal point in the center of the picture. Do you have information about the artist or this piece of art? (or value? ) Thank you for your help.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I'm guessing at the signature. It either begins with a lowercase g or a lowercase q. There's no curve on the bottom of the stroke.

3/10/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the art,
signatures if any and back of completed framing for any writing or labels.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, Sorry it took a while to upload the pics. Attached are images, as requested.
Pic 1_Framed.jpgPic 1_F...jpgPic 2_Close Up.jpgPic 2_C...jpgPic 3_Artist Signature.jpgPic 3_A...jpgPic 4_Gallery Sticker.jpgPic 4_G...jpg

I am unable to find a match for this artist's signature. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you.
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

I will be happy to help with your work here.

Hertz Gallery was primarily a framing a decorative wall art shop, they did not handle works by up and coming nor listed artists.

This is an original watercolor painting with an illegible signature. Oftentimes, signatures were purposefully rendered illegible as the artist was not listed or they were sidewalk artist who sold mainly to the tourist trade.

The scene depicted is from Venice, Italy. The bridge that is the focal point in this scene is the famed Rialto Bridge that was completed in 1591. During World War II Hitler had commanded one of his generals to destroy the bridge. In a rare moment of 'heart' the general could not do it, as it was where he honeymooned with his wife. Thus, the bridge is still enjoyed by all who visit to this day.

Depending on the size and based on comparables, this could sell for $100 - $275 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nora, Thank you for evaluating it and thanks for the background story about the bridge! We really like the watercolor, and were simply curious if it had higher value beyond our admiration. We appreciate your thorough and prompt response.

You are very welcome and my pleasure to be of help to you here.

In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here by clicking the stars, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora

Nora
Nora