Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Doris, I have another old piece to get some information on.

For Doris Only ...Doris, I...
For Doris Only ...Doris, I have another old piece to get some information on. However I have no idea what it is. I purchased a box of misc items at an auction. This piece was in a box with a few watch repairing tools. It could be related to watches/jewelry...? There are markings on it: "Pat D Oct 2" also marked "1800" also marked "Presott" and another marking not readable but possibly ending with "...case" or "care".
3/10/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome back. Doris here.

Please allow time for me to review this question. I may need more information.

How tall is this inches?

Approx 2 inches tall
It looks like a stamp?

The watch company that this belonged to was a London one established in 1925. It is now closed. The name was Prescott Clock and Watch Co, Ltd, London, UK.

Now I just need to research what they would have used it for.

I just noticed you said it says PRESOTT, not PRESCOTT. Which is it, please.

Prescott - my mistake

Understand. I am a one finger typist. I make mistakes every day.

Let me research this for you.

Thank you!

You are welcome.

I found it. I was wrong about the company. It is a watch case opener.

See the diagram here:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/reference/patent/659049/tool-watch-case-opener

Tool Watch Case Opener

invented by

Daniel W. Campbell
Albert E. Prescott

Oct 2, 1900

The estimated retail value is $40-60 to a collector.

Again,

The same selling venues I recommended to you before apply here as well.

Ah, I see it say "1900" now... it is a but worn and the "9" looked like a completed circle at the top ("8").Thank you again Doris. This is very helpful!

You are welcome.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Thank you for checking Doris. Your information was helpful.

You are welcome.

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Thank you again.
**********************