Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a set of Rosenthal Cumulus china. It's an interesting…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a set of Rosenthal Cumulus china. It's an interesting collection made up of s50 odd pieces, mostly large plates, small plates, bowls, serving bowls & salt and pepper shakers. I was wondering how to get it appraised and then sold. Thanks, Nic

3/10/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi Nic. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

.

If it's not too much trouble can you give me a list of exactly what pieces you have in your set? Depending on just what you have, the value can vary quite a bit.

.

Thanks,
Diana

That's great. Thank you.

.

That's a gorgeous pattern. Cumulus was made from 1980 to 1982 is a discontinued pattern so some of your pieces might be harder to find. That can not only raise the value, but helps with how collectible it is. I can actually give you prices both individually and as a set so you'll know the value of each piece and as a set. Here is a breakdown value for your pieces:

.

1 x platter 33.5 x 24.5cm - $165 to $185
9 x plates 26cm - $125 to $145 each
13 x plates 20cm - $50 to $60 each
21 x plates 17cm - $65 to $65 each
14 x bowls 11cm - $40 to $50 each
11 x bowls with 3 feet 16.5cm -$60 to $70 each
2 x 4 hole salt shaker - $30 to $35 each
1 x 1 hole salt shaker - $50 to $60
2 x serving bowls , 1 x 19.5cm - $125 to $150

1 x 17cm - $100 to $125
1 x serving bowl with lid and handle 19.5cm - $115 to $145

.

As a whole set, it should have a resale value around $4800 to $5300. It will have an insurance value of $7000. The insurance is always good to know just in case something gets broken in shipping or transit.

.

.

That should do it, but if I missed anything, please let me know.
.

You're welcome to ask whatever you like or bargain with any sellers, but this is what your set is actually worth. The reason I broke it down is because sometimes you can get a higher value by breaking the set up or by piecing it out. Like you mentioned, it helps to know what each piece is worth.

.

Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower price range.
.

I'll be honest, the downside to selling china right now is that there are a number of people trying to currently get rid of their china so there is quite a bit on the market. It make take a few selling tries, but there are definitely collector's out there.
.
I can give you a few ideas for selling if you're interested. For selling, Etsy and Amazon's marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. There is also Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic. They're more like online antique shops. They do cost a bit more to list there, but they get higher prices. Etsy is a good alternative if you want some place with lower listing fees. They have the lowest rates around right now.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. Ebay, like with any auction, you can expect about 1/2 of the actual value. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo. Since you're in Australia, there's also Gumtree, Tradingpost and Austree.The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the bottom and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

Have a great day and good luck!

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser