Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Could you help identify this clay pedestal vessel? It stands…

Robert, Could you help identify this...
Robert,
Could you help identify this clay pedestal vessel?
It stands approximately 10.5" tall
Protruding snake on both sides.
Thank you for any help provided
IMG_0703.JPGIMG_0703.JPGIMG_0704.JPGIMG_0704.JPGIMG_0706.JPGIMG_0706.JPGIMG_0707.JPGIMG_0707.JPGIMG_0708.JPGIMG_0708.JPG
3/10/2018
Lindie-mod
I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Thank you for your patience.
Best,
Lindie
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Brenda,

Just letting you know I got your pedestal vessel and photos.

I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, do you have any history or provenance for it? Is it a family heirloom or did you acquire it?

Many thanks,

Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I do not have any history. Acquired it about a year ago at a local thrift store. It was dropped off by family member who was disposing of items left in parents home after death. I thought it was interesting and purchased before it even got to a shelf in shop. Happened to be there when bringing out new items. If more pictures are needed I will provide. Thank You
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is quite heavy weighing approximately 6 lbs.

Hi Brenda,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this, life intervened! But I should be back at my desk again tomorrow.

Many thanks for your patience!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No worry. Take your time.

Hi Brenda,

I have to say that after a lot of digging in the archives, I believe your interesting piece of Mesoamerican primitive earthenware doesn't fit any specific native people's typical body of work. The closest it resembles, and even that is a stretch, are some of the vessels made by the Chancay people of Peru, the only ones that consistently made vessels with (a) vertical ring handles (other than the Cochiti Pueblo in New Mexico who sometimes did ring handles) and (b) with forms raised in relief (like those snakes on either side) but nowhere can I find anything with (a) and (b) and this decoration and combined with an inverted cup pedestal foot. Even a pedestal foot on its own is very rare in Mesoamerican native pottery.

I think what this is, is a fantasy piece created, perhaps not with any intention to deceive, but done for the amusement of a student or hobby ceramic artist and then left to weather outdoors so that now it's beginning to have the distressed surface reminiscent of a piece a lot older than it is, even that of pre-Columbian pottery.

Added to which, various features of the clay on the underside indicate it's been coil constructed and pit fired in the traditional way that give it the 'bones' of an authentic piece.

The decorative motifs in black slip most closely resemble those of the Pueblo potters of New Mexico including the little comb-like devices that represent rain, so my hunch is that this was made in the southwest USA or northwest Mexico, within the range of traditional Pueblo (Puebla) pottery making.

As for value, I think it's intriguing enough for someone to pay up to $120 for it retail, so an eBay value in the $40 to $60 range would be not be at all unreasonable and hopefully a bit more than you paid for it at the thrift store.

I do hope this helps!
Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S.