Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have two silver spoons, look like dessert spoons but

Customer Question
I have two silver...

I have two silver spoons, look like dessert spoons but perhaps large enough to be servers. The makers data is W&HJ with W&H on a separate flag.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

The item numbers are Rd 726603

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Is it possible to date the items and confirm which branch of W&J they were made. They were given to us on our wedding day by a sliverware lover who knew much about silverware

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 month ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

What size are your spoons? Can you send pictures of them and the marks?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The makers are obviously Walker & Hall who I think are from Sheffield but I believe had various branches over time

Hi. I know the makers were probably Walker and Hall. They used different marks at different times, so I was going to check with variations you have.

.

Is that RD 726603 number on both spoons? Are you looking for anything else, like a value or you just looking for a date?

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The second spoon has the number 726903

I believe I can date them with just those. Are you looking for anything else, like a value or you just looking for a date?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Certainly I would like the date and factory location, but yes a valuation would be nice. They are not in pristine condition. One has a mark which indicates that some silver is missing.The color behind suggests EPNS. In fact , both have this mark and it is on the bottom of the spoons where they sit on the table. The silver looks thicker than silver plating would be so could they be Sheffield type silver?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have just had a look at the numbers again. I have to use a magnifying glass but I now believe that they both have the same number. Is there a catalogue that I might access on line?

Hi. Unfortunately no. There's no old Walker and Hall records. There's a few replacement sites that have some of the patterns. There's a few sites that have history on the marks, but there's no single source.

.

I'll use the databases I have access to and see what I can find for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Hi.

I can help with those too. On your Walker/Hall piece, I can tell you everything, but which factory made it. The records on the factories are almost nonexistent. I've searched through everything just to be sure.

I can still give you all the other info though, is that okay?

~Diana

Yes, what you describe would be the mark for ***** *****, but n the picture showed, that mark doesn't look like a WK to me. It looks almost like a WT. I can't make the other 3 marks out very well. I think I see a crown and 2 other marks.

.

Did you send a picture different than the ***** ***** you wanted me to check?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please.
I have found the pattern name and some prices on the net which give me the idea that the Walker/Hall spoons are not very much.ThanksPeter

Hi Peter.

I'll be glad to help with the other pieces. Do you have a more close up photo of the marks? They're a little hard to see from my end?

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur