Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a big set of Harmony house corinthian series china.

I have a big...

I have a big set of Harmony house corinthian series china. I'd like to know the value of the set.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Its a big set with many plates and dishes and saucers all of the same make. I am not sure on the exact numbers. there is a lot of stuff.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

They are all in great condition, haven't been used in decades, some have been displayed in the china cabinet while many others have been in the windowless cabinet on the bottom of the china cabinet, which I would also like to know the value of. Plus there are other little nicknacks and small statues.

3/10/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad

.

If it's not too much trouble can you give me a list of exactly what pieces you have in your set? Depending on just what you have, the value can vary quite a bit.

.

Thanks,
Diana

Sure, but that will take a little while. I may not even be able to do it all tonight. I don't know the right names of these either. I could probably look them up online.

Hi. That's okay. There's no rush at all.

.

Do you think it would be easier to take a picture of the set? I can probably pick out what all the pieces are by just looking.

~Diana

I found a website that lists replacements for all the pieces in the set and says that the 45 pc set is $299.95. That looks like what I have. How much do you think I could sell it for if its in good condition? Here is the link to the site i found: https://www.replacements.com/p/harmony-house-china-corinthian-45-piece-starter-set/hahcor/114337051

Hi.

Replacements isn't bad. There values are actually pretty closed to what's considered the insurance or replacement value.

.

For a resale value, a 45 pc set will be worth about $225 to $275. You can actually get a bit higher value by piecing it out, but that can take much longer to sell and I know most sellers don't to deal with the time it takes.

.

Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower end of the price range.
.

I'll be honest, the downside to selling china right now is that there are a number of people trying to currently get rid of their china so there is quite a bit on the market. It make take a few selling tries, but there are definitely collector's out there.
.
I can give you a few ideas for selling if you're interested. For selling, Etsy and Amazon's marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. There is also Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic. They're more like online antique shops. They do cost a bit more to list there, but they get higher prices. Etsy is a good alternative if you want some place with lower listing fees. They have the lowest rates around right now.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. Ebay, like with any auction, you can expect about 1/2 of the actual value. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Is there anything else I can help with?

~Diana

Thank you for all the info, that is great stuff! I might have more than just that set, it sure seems like a lot. I just have a lot of old stuff I want to sell off. There is a lot of things I've inharrited that I want to liquidate.

I can understand that. It's hard going through that many items. You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. If you run across any other pieces that you think differ from that 45 set, I'll be glad to help you figure those out. =)

.

I see you signed up for a membership, which is great. That means you can ask about any of your items that you need help with. If you would like to use me on any further questions or with help on your other items, I'll be glad to help anyway I can. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

Best Wishes,

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
I sure will come back and ask if I need additional info. Thank you very much!
Also, with my set, there are some fabric covers or carrying cases. I don't see that listed in the web page that I showed you. Would that make the set more valuable or is that just included in most sets and just goes without saying on the site?

Great! I look forward to it.

.
No. Replacements doesn't generally have any of the old cases. They buy mixed lots and pieces from people looking to get rid of their old china fast. They generally don't take the cases or covers.

.
That's pretty awesome. Yes that would raise the value. If you have the cases, that would add about $75 to $100 to the overall value. =)

Awesome!!! Plus there is a vegitable dish with a cover that the site said cost $75. And then I have a lot of other things besides that set plus I'd like to sell the china cabinet which must be worth a few hundred bucks too. Its like 6 and a half to 7 feet tall, glass doors, then extra storage at the bottom. My cat did put some deep scratches in it but I can repair that.

Oh wow. Keep an eye for a tureen too. That's like a covered vegetable, but will have a slot in the lid for a ladle. Those are generally worth a lot.

.

That sounds fantastic. Scratches aren't too hard to fix. More often than not, you can use a little stain and cover any discoloration and it'll look almost as good as new.

.

I'll be glad to help with whatever I can. I'll be around all weekend, so I'll be sure to keep my eye out for any questions with my name in it.

Thank you very much!
Oh no! I just typed a whole long message and it just displays "Hi"??? Oh man! I guess I'll have to retype it all.
This is what I was trying to send:Hi,I have gone over some of the china that I have. I do have more than was shown in that set that I showed you online. That page showed 8 sets each of dinner plates, salad plates, bread and butter plates, and cup and saucer sets. But I have 11 sets of each plus 4 more cups! I still have a lot more to sort out. There are bowls of all sizes, serving platters, a creamer, a sugar bowl with lid, and more. All of them with the same pattern on it.Plus, I found an old burlap sack full of sterling silverware! I don't yet know just how much is in there but it has to be a few sets. Also, there are a couple of sterling silver bowls. All of that has to be pretty valuable, hu?There are additional items as well. Such as many clear drinking glasses of all shapes and sizes, a few porcelain or clay figurines, and some other serving things I don't know the name for.My grandma must have been quite the collector. All of this stuff has no sentimental value to me and I would rather just liquidate it all, including the china cabinet it is all in and use the money to redecorate my house. I'll continue to catalog it all but what do you think so far? Thank you for your help!

Wow. That's quite a lot. It definitely sounds like you have more than a 45 piece set. Would you like to me value what you've found or hang on until you get it all sorted?

.

Yup. Sterling silverware is valuable. It has value in the maker/pattern, but also the melt value if you want to go that route. It sounds like you have quite a bit of items that can bring decent money. I won't say the figurines don't hold much because a lot of it depends on what it is. Older antique porcelain figurines can be worth quite a bit...more vintage chinese or japanese made figurines, not so much. Even Made in Japan figures are still worth about $10 or so.

.

I'd definitely get it all sorted and catalogued and I can help you get through it all. That won't be a problem. =)

I'll work on getting it cataloged today. I found a nice compuer program for collectors to cataloge their collections. I'll keep you updated. I'll take all the help you can give. Thanks so much!!

Great! That's a smart idea. It should make the whole process much easier for you.

Hi, I finished the database of just the china dishware. I have it in a 2 page PDF file. The value listed is just the sale price that I found on the website for one set. I would like to know if you agree with that. You have already given me advice on how to sell them, after looking at the collection, do you still think that is the best way to sell them? I have a ton more things to organize into the database but I believe this is all the china dishware. Thank you so much for all your help!

That's great. Thank you! I'll break them up into different patterns. I'll be sure to adjust any values as I go.

.

On your Corinthian set:

11 Dinner plates - $10 to $15 each

11 Salad plates - $5 to $10 each

11 bread/butter plates - $5 to $10 each

11 cup/saucer sets - $8 to $12 each set

12 fruit bowls - $5 to $10 each

8 soup bowls - $8 to $12 each

4 extra cups -$5 each

1 12" platter - $40 to $50

1 16" platter - $50 to $60

2 10" vegetable bowls - $25 to $35 each

1 covered vegetable - $75 to $100

1 gravy boat -$30 to $40

1 sugar bowl - $15 to $20

1 creamer - $10 to $15

.

As a whole set, it's worth about $600 to $800. You can offer whatever you like or be willing come down, but as a whole set, this is what it's actually worth. =)

.

With your Harmony House Classique White soup bowl, that's worth about $15 to $20

.

The Harmony House Wheat Garland cereal bowl is worth $5 to $10

.

The Lenox dish is worth $15 to $20.

.

That should take care of any corrections, but if I missed anything, just let me know.

Have a good night

~Diana

That is fantastic news! That's really what I can ask for and get for them? Does the exact value of it all depend on the condition or is that a range to barter with? Which price should I put for the current value in my database and sale price to sell it for? Does that whole set price include the fabric cases I have? You said that added value. I can provide a pic of one of the cases if you like? I'm not even sure if case is the right word. Its a cloth covering that covers the stack of dishes or bowls and has a zipper so it's fully enclosed.Like I said before, I have a ton more other stuff that isn't china dishware. Would you like me to catalog and show you all that stuff too or do you only do china? Again, thank you so much for all your help!

Hi. That's what they're worth. I did take the covers into consideration. I think I know what you're talking about. Fabric soft case is generally what I call them. They're not super great for keeping them from breaking, but they are good storage cases and definitely help with dust and dirt. I have similar ones on the set I inherited from my grandmother.

.

I can't guarantee they'll sell for that, but sets have sold for around that in the past. As with anything, it depends on lot on the buyer and where you sell them. Sometimes I swear it depends on the weather. lol. This price gives you a baseline to work with. You can ask for more or less depending on what you're goal is. If you want to sell them faster, you might drop the value a little. You can also say you're willing to negotiate. This value should help you determine how much you're willing to come down in price. I always say you can drop the value, the but you can't get your money back if you sell it too low to start with.

.

I can help with just about anything you have. If by chance I can't, I'll be glad to help you find someone who can. I generally work on 2 or 3 items per question (like 2 or 3 different sets of china or flatware or 2 or 3 different pieces of pottery, figurines, books, etc.).

Ok cool! You did tell me options of how to sell them but I would like to know what exactly I should do in order to maximize the likelihood of selling all of it as quickly as I can and for the most that I can. Sell it online? Sell to an antique shop? Probably not a pawn shop, right? Some other way? What's the best way?Also, how should I transport these? I have boxed things up to mail before but never something so fragile. You said the cases wouldn't really protect from damage? I guess because they can still clink into each other. So what do I do? I'm a rookie; you will have to baby step with me, if you don't mind.I do have some books that might be old too. I guess I have a little bit of everything. Including antique furniture. I will probably start working on cataloging that silverware today. Do you have any pro tips for me to possibly find more info on them? As always, thank you so much!
After going over those values a little more, I have a few more questions. I noticed that some of your values are a lot higher than the price given in that replacements website. I do not disagree with your values, but I am just wondering why there is such a big difference on some of them. I would have thought that retail would mark up the price.Also, I entered your values into my database, had it multiply the value times the number of sets in each category of object and then added them all up for a grand total of $1,158. That would be what I could get if I sold them piece by piece and got the max for each one? I guess that would take a long time and a whole lot of good luck! But it does help me to feel more confident about the price of it as a whole. It's just shocking to me that it's worth that much! If it were worth half as much, I'd be thrilled, so this is really great and exciting!
I did not get to cataloging the Silverware but I did look at it and they have "Fine Arts Sterling" and "Processional" stamped on the back. I did a little research online and found that it could be worth a lot of money too. A 51 piece set (I don't know if I have this set) was going for $1,700 online. This is exciting to find things so valuable!! I can't wait to convert it to money! Haha! :)

Hi. I can't tell you any one route that's going to given the highest value. That's far too unpredictable. The best advice I can give is try a few things. Online will likely get the highest value because it will reach the most people. So for that, maybe opening up an Etsy shop or trying Ebay will the best thing. If you need to get rid of it fast, that will likely mean taking the lowest values and going with something like a facebook sale page, craigslist, or an app like letgo. Selling to a dealer in a shop or to a pawnshop, you won't even get half the value. Not worth it. You're right that selling it by the piece can take much longer and it's possible you could be stuck with pieces that just won't sell. That's something you have to weigh. More often than not, I'm a big fan of just getting rid of it for the lowest price I'm willing to take. I always said if I buy something for $2, I could spend months or years waiting to sell it for $20 or I could sell it right now for $5. $5 is more than double my money so.... =)

.

My values are based on sold prices from a number of sources. I have access to sales databases that give me sold prices within the last few years plus I have access to a few replacement sites other than just Replacements.com. Sometimes those values are higher than replacements, some pieces are lower. Replacements.com values are typically based on what they have in stock. If they have a lot of 1 item, they tend to drop prices to get rid of them. Taking up too much space so to speak.

.

If you're planning to pack and ship, bubble wrap is your best friend. The key is make sure the pieces don't move. If the pieces can move against it each, they can break. You want the china wrapped solid and then placed a box with enough fill that there is space between it and the wall of the box. There also has to be enough fill that it can't bang around and move inside the box too much.

.

This site is pretty good.

https://blog.shiphawk.com/how-to-pack-fine-china

.

In all warning...shipping can be costly. You do pass that on to the customers, but a lot of people factor shipping cost into what they're willing to pay for something. If selling online, you might consider selling in smaller lots and stick to what you could fit in say...flat rate boxes from the post office. That way you can be as accurate as possible about the shipping cost.

Nothing is ever easy, hu? lol Thank you for the info! That is a lot of very helpful info. Now I just gotta plan out what to do. I'm not always good at planning, but I'll do my best.
What about the UPS Store. There is one near by and their web site says they are experts at packing fragile and expensive things. And they have to be less expensive than me getting the materials and doing it all myself, right? Plus I'd know its done right and they garentee thier work. What is your professional opinion on that?
Also I took 5 pics of some of the other knick-knacks that I have in the china cabinet and put it in this PDF. Could you please take a quick look and see if you think anything could be valuable (except the china, of course, that was just already in there)? You don't have to do a whole exact pricing right now, I just would like to know if they are worth selling or giving away or what. Thank you so much!
I have not received a responce to my last post.

Hi. I'm sorry for just getting back with you. I've been off and away. I'm just getting back to all my backlog of messages.

.

No. Nothing is ever easy. For the most part, it's really just trial and error to see what's going to work best for you. If there was any one set way to flip the items fast and make a lot of money, I wouldn't be working..well...anywhere. lol.

.

I haven't used UPS to pack. I wish I had more information for you on that. I know they offer it and I've heard great things. The cost will vary depending on what you're shipping and sometimes between stores. If you call them, they should have enough experience to be able to give you a ballpark idea of what it would cost.

.

I really can't give a whole lot of input on your other items. It kind of falls into the adding items on to existing questions, which we're not allowed to do. I can say that most of the items in that case will have some value, especially the figurines. If they're hummels that can be worth a bit of money. There's money in glassware too, but to be honest, glassware can often be hard to identify if it's not marked. It can be valued, but not always ID'd. It looks like she had some nice early 20th century glass pieces too (that's the one with your geometric looking patterns and cuts). Just from looking, I don't really see anything that's worth giving away. It might not be worth hundreds, but there are buyers out there for most of what I see.

Hello,I filled out an online form and entered in the sterling silverware pieces that I have and they came back with a quote. The offer is from antiquecupboard.com and they offered $563 for the 55 piece set. It comes with cloth set cases and some pieces are still factory sealed. I have attached a two-page pdf that has the list of the collection and a screenshot of the email. I would like to know if the offer is too low or reasonable. They said the offer is good for 7 business days. Thank you so much for all your help. You really have helped me a lot!Eric

Hi Eric.

.

Unfortunately, I can't answer this question here. I'd love to be able to, but, unlike with the cabinet where I was just taking a quick glance, this falls under the rule that we're not allowed to add more items to an existing question.

.
If you want to ask it as a brand new question, I'll be more than happy to take a look. As long as you put my name at the beginning of the question, that will make sure that it gets to me.

~Diana

That is a little frusterating but I understand that there are rules. Ok, I will ask another question and hope you can answer it before the offer expires. I suspect that the offer is pretty low compaired to what they are worth but is it the best that I can get? I don't know.