Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Trying to figure out some paintings. One is original like…

Customer Question
Trying to figure out...

Trying to figure out some paintings

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

One is original like watercolor with no signature

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

One says Raja Gallery with certificate of originality

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/10/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 5 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Do copies have any value?
20180309_195618.jpg2018030...jpg20180309_195625.jpg2018030...jpg20180309_195635.jpg2018030...jpg20180309_195611.jpg2018030...jpg

I am unable to find a match for all of these, so I have to opt-out. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 5 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me to review the photos and post back here when completed.
Ok, thanks. Just for history. These belonged to someone who would be 117 years old this year. Born 1900.
Great thank you for the information . Can you tell me the measurements if possible? These are nice paintings.
The watercolor is like almost almost 8x 10 size. The Thai artist framed inside frame size is about 12 x 13 and firle fairy tale about 10.5 x 13? Estimates. The ones that seem copyright by gallery/museum (I think) etc are a bit over 8 x 10.
Thank you for the measurements. Yes, This last item you recently posted is a bookmarker from an exhibit that was at the Getty Museum. Value is $3.50. they were given out when you toured or sold in the gift shop. Nice bookmarker.
Anything on the other items?

Yes i am almost done here and will post shortly Thank you for your patience

Thank you

Hi Thank you for your patience the following pieces I have completed and am still working on the Thailand ones.

1. The Fairy Tale by Firle.......framed print.....10 1/2 x 13".......

The value on this 1950-early 1960s print, framed snd looks to be in excellent condition is 75-100.00

The actual title to the oil painting this print is taken from is = Story time. Three little girls, sitting on a sofa in front of the window, carefully study a storybook.

The painting sold in Germany the last time in 2012 for $12,500.00 it had been estimated to sell for $3,100-3,700.00

Walter Firle

Born: 1859
Died: 1929
Known for: Landscape, genre, religious themed and portrait painting

Walter Firle received lessons in painting from an early age. In 1879 he attended the Munich Academy of Art, where he was a student of Alois Gabl, Ludwig von Löfftz and Gabriel von Hackl. During a stay in Italy the artist created numerous landscapes as well as beach and town views. During a trip to the Netherlands Firle had the opportunity to study the Dutch old masters.

Back in Germany, he settled in Munich, where he created his first major and most important paintings. He painted mainly genre scenes, paintings with religious themes and portraits, including of well-known personalities and members of the Bavarian royal family. Firle was a member of the Munich Artists' Association and in 1890 he was appointed professor. His works were exhibited at the Glaspalast in Munich, in Berlin, Dresden, Dusseldorf, at the Künstlerhaus in Vienna and in Venice. (tfa)

2. watercolor landscape unsigned standard 8 x 10 size. This was done in late 1950s period The style and colors, flow of the scenery all consistent to that time period.Very nice piece has a value of 35-40.00

3. the Monet print- lady walking in field of flowers, just over 8 x 10"............... these were common reproduction prints sold through gift shops during exhibits of the museums. Has a value of 50.00

4. Renoir reproduction print ............. 9 x 12" 75.00

5. collage by Sadki- having a hard time finding information on this artist I find bits here and there but will finish this up and post back here shortly. I do know the artist came from a family of fine artists. This piece is a nice collage

the Firle is not the original one I have, correct?Watercolor, any way to find out who could have painted it and if there is a hidden signature?Where do you recommend I can see how much these reproductions and firle can be sold?I want to hold on to watercolor and Thai because I feel there is more to this than I know.

Hi yes it is a print of the painting.

_____________________

the watercolor I did enlarge and look for a logo or out of place item as many artists do insert a little item to mark it as their work. I slowly reviewed the painting and did not see any hidden notation. To know who painted this you would need to check with owner, family or friends and see if anyone knew of an artist member in family or friend circle. Without some direction I have no way of researching or finding a possible artist.

____________________________________

ebay.com

etsy.com

offerup.com local ad site

goantiques.com

facebook has selling groups within their page format you can list loaclly or offer to ship items and post the ads for worldwide.

____________________________________

The watercolor ant this Thai collage are both nice pieces. I would look into more of the background to who owned the pieces alos as they could probably help on where the watercolor came from. Whoever owned these pieces enjoy fine art and attended exhibits at museums.

I got at an estate sale. I believe owners name was Mldrid Reis. Will go ask more since it is still going in. She lived in old victorian style home.

What picture did this one come from? I can see the JW and have looked up monograms and there are several curious what the overall picture is is it a print , painting or photograph?

This the watercolor that is hard old paper and original looking painting on 8x10
It is a beautiful picture

Great thank you I am now comparing the initials I never saw that when i was reviewing that painting earlier.

It is this one I attached. Me too. You can't see ANY signature or writing. Then I was reading about Dr Lori and unsigned pics and value and lighting and held up against my room light and was like WOW. There us some writing in here.
Ok. I figured it out. This is a J Whatman paper. The J W and even H is there. Cutoff and not exactly 8 x 10. It is a somewhat smaller odd size. What does this mean? Being so old, who could bt the artist? Now, I am really curious as to who made this beautiful piece???You might think I am overlooking this beautiful painting. Though, it eve. Seems like something is written (attached a pic) or is it just the watercolor?
Screenshot_20180310-234858.jpgScreens...jpgScreenshot_20180310-235233.jpgScreens...jpgScreenshot_20180311-000346.jpgScreens...jpg2018-3-10 22-51-3.jpg2018-3-...jpg
The W is not crossed over as some were forged for a short period.
Anything?
Omg! This picture is full of hidden faces. And even a man standing on house. Clear when I used my magnifying phone app. This is just soo interesting and so AMAZING to me. I have never felt SO amazed in my life. I didn't sleep all night discovery all the hidden channels to this amazing unframed artwork.