Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a couple of items I am hoping you can help me with.

The first one is what...
I have a couple of items I am hoping you can help me with. The first one is what appears to be a black and white drawing/picture. It is signed by Rose Clark and is titled Ladies Day. It is approximately 15 inches by 18 inches. I also have an old sword, I believe civil war, it was found in an old tabacco field in the south. It is in a sheath and is about 36 inches long. I would appreciate any help. I do have pictures I can forward also. Thank you in advance.
3/10/2018
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please post photos by clicking the paperclip or file upload button and following the prompts. Thank you I look forward to seeing these.
Thank you. Here are the photos.
DSCN0001.jpgDSCN0001.jpgDSCN0002 2.jpgDSCN000...jpgDSCN0005.jpgDSCN0005.jpgDSCN0007 2.jpgDSCN000...jpgDSCN0008 2.jpgDSCN000...jpgDSCN0008 2.jpgDSCN000...jpgDSCN0009 2.jpgDSCN000...jpgDSCN0011.jpgDSCN0011.jpgDSCN0012 2.jpgDSCN001...jpgDSCN9988.jpgDSCN9988.jpgDSCN9990 2.jpgDSCN999...jpgDSCN9995.jpgDSCN9995.jpgDSCN9998.jpgDSCN9998.jpg
Thank you so much for your help in these photos. Please allow me time to review them and post back upon completion. I appreciate your assistance

Thank you for allowing me to help you on these. There are no photos here of the drawing/picture by Rose Clark

the values I will give are for either manner to the piece as noted and based on the size, subject matter and status of the artist.

15" x 18" "Ladies Day" by Rose Clark

photograph= 425.00 in excellent condition

black and white drawing= 600.00 in excellent condition

the link below tells more of Rose Clark's life as a photographer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Clark

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rose Clark

(1852-1942) the following biography came from the link below:

https://www.burchfieldpenney.org/artists/artist:rose-clark/

Born as Harriett Candace Clark in 1852, La Porte, Indiana, Rose Clark was trained as a painter and taught painting at St. Margaret’s School in Buffalo in the late 1800s. Shortly after, one of her students, Mabel Dodge Luhan, commissioned her to restore her Villa Curonia in Florence, Italy where Clark decided to reside for several years. Many of her paintings were displayed at The Buffalo Fine Arts Academy , and she also exhibited watercolors at the Women’s Art Club in New York. She was also heavily involved in photography beginning in the late 1800s as well, specializing mainly in portraits. She began a collaboration with Elizabeth Flint Wade, and also had some correspondence with Alfred Steiglitz who counseled and encouraged her in her art. He also listed her as one of the top ten American pictorial photographers in Century Magazine (Oct. 1902). Clark and Wade exhibited and published their photographs under a joint name. Their first exhibitions include shows at the Buffalo Society of Artists and The New York Camera Club in 1899. Over the next decade their work is displayed all over, including the Art Institue of Chicago, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Photo Club de Paris, the Pan-American Exposition,Corcoran Gallery of Art, and the Albright Art Gallery (Rose Clark only). Clark moved to New York in the 1920s to advertise her portraits and paintings and returned to Buffalo in 1926. Clark died in Buffalo in 1942.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Artist Biography

The following is from Peter Kostoulakos, AOA, NEAA: Fine Art Consultant, www.pkart.com

Harriette Candace Clark known as Rose Clark was born in La Porte, Indiana in 1852 and died in Buffalo, New York on November 28, 1942. She was a leading Buffalo, New York artist and exhibited at the National Academy of Design, NYC, 1889-97; Art Institute of Chicago, 1897; Turin Exposition, Italy, 1902 (gold medal); Art Club of Philadelphia; Trans-Mississippi Exposition, Omaha, Nebraska, 1898; and The Boston Art Club, 1892-93.

As an officer and exhibiting member of the Buffalo Society of Artists, Clark held positions such as member of the council, the hanging committee, and the jury of selection. In 1895, four years after the society was organized, she began exhibiting portraits. Clark appears to be best represented and known for her watercolor and photographic compositions.

She was a member of the New York Watercolor Club and is listed in The Boston Art Club Exhibition Record of 1873-1909 as an exhibiting watercolor artist in the years 1892 and 1893.

_________________________________

I am still researching the Civil War sword and will have this completed by tomorrow. It is taking a bit more time in finding the information. I thank you for your patience and will post as soon as I have completed this evaluation.

My husband just got home, the sword is from his family. His great grandfathers last name was Sloan, his family had a Tobacco farm in Georgia which his where the sword was found in the field.

That is wonderful thank you I have been working on this and just saw your post. I will have this completed tomorrow afternoon for you or early evening I am thorough and want to be as accurate as possible for you. Thank you I appreciate this information.

Are you having troubles with my info????
I thought you said you would have an estimate earlier this afternoon? sorry, I guess I must of misunderstood....but I obviously did not, as you can clearly read from the above messages.......
I have had trouble with the storms here this yesterday and being able to stay online lone enough to post the information on this rifle. I will try to do this this morning by my tablet. Thank you you are correct I said I would have it last night. It will be posted today. The information you posted is good thank you for your patience.

Hi thank you for your patience and I apologize for the interruption with the storms we have been having come through.

The sword you have is a Civil War Staff Officers sword. The detailed handle and blade are in great condition for the age and having been found in a field.

the link below tells about the swords made at the Springfield Armory The one you have is on page*****down in the photo are two you have the one on the left.

http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/B058_Kellerstedt.pdf

The value in todays market for the sword is 1200-1400.00 it is in very good condition.

Thank you again and if I may be of further help please let me know I am always happy to help .

the link below gives you information on Georgia during the Civil War.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/civil-war-georgia-overview

Thank you so much. My husband will be thrilled to read about the history of this sword. I love all of the pictures of the different blade detail. Thanks again.

you are very welcome glad I could be of help. The history is very interesting. Please click on the stars above our chat here to rate my work as this is how I am paid for my work. It costs you nothing more it is strictly how I am paid Thank you again and have a wonderful week ahead.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser