Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am trying to identify porcelain pieces inherited from my…

I am trying to...

I am trying to identify porcelain pieces inherited from my mother and grandmother. I believe some are Capo di monte (boys playing cards, gypsy violinists...) with a crown and an N, and others look like Hummels, but are only numbered, with no other marks that I can see. They are likely all from the 40's-50's. How can I tell?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I have contacted two different companies here in Southern California - one specifically does estate appraisals, and the other is an auction house, but neither have responded

3/10/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the items, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Thought I'd start with these three?

If these all have that mark, they are reproduction Capodimonte figurines made in Taiwan in the 1970's.

Real Capidimonte was made in Italy and has a higher quality of craftsmanship. Each of these figurines is valued at $40 to $60 resale.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get five-star feedback for answers.

Rarewares
i may try to remove the felt to see the markings - possibly a blow dryer to soften the adhesive. Felt that might be safer than warm water. I remember the violinists from my childhood, so possibly those are not reproductions, but can't tell unless I remove it. The detail on those is much more intricate. Shall I send you more photos? I have so many unidentifiable items from them. Also a set of A-Team action figures with Mr. T, found in a drawer. I'm fairly sure those are priceless:)