Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My uncle in England was a restorer of Queen Victorias

Customer Question
My uncle in England...

My uncle in England was a restorer of Queen Victorias furniture in Osborne House, Ryde, Isle of Wight. He gave me several historical things from other places. He gave me a small box from the carpenter with the wood left over from Queen Victorias coffin. It is small hinged and beautiful. My uncle and the carpenter are dead now. Can i find out if this is authentic somewhere? I dont doubt my uncle but want to make sure. Can you please help me?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

My name is*****

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/9/2018
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Ruth,

My name is ***** ***** I would be glad to help with your fascinating small box and its connection with Osborne House and Queen Victoria. What a wonderful story you have for it, and it all sounds perfectly plausible, but backing up that link between the box and the queen's coffin wood is going to be a tough one to do.

First of all, some questions:

1. What was your uncle's name?
  2. Do you have the name of the carpenter?
  3. Do you have any letters or newspaper clippings about the story, or is it just all word of mouth?
  4. Can you attach a photo of the box itself and a close-up of any detail you think I might need to see.

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Robert.

To attach photos:

(a) Just click on the "Add Files" tab and it will bring up the photos in your computer for you to select and attach here where you are typing to me.

(b) If you don't have an image in your computer, email yourself one from a smart phone, save it in you computer and proceed with (a).

Here's a link to picture attaching help if you need it.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl