Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have one more for today Photos attached - approx 20 x 17…

RobertI have one more for...
RobertI have one more for todayPhotos attached - approx 20 x 17Thank you!
152 (2).jpg152 (2).jpg152 (1).jpg152 (1).jpg152 (3).jpg152 (3).jpg152 (4).jpg152 (4).jpg152 (5).jpg152 (5).jpg152 (6).jpg152 (6).jpg152 (7).jpg152 (7).jpg
3/9/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Got this one too! And all the great photos. I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Many thanks.

Robert.

Thank youI am assuming the more questions I send you is good for you??

Yes, the more the merrier, though I'm a little swamped with end-of-the-week madness, so let me do these two first before submitting any more.

Hope that's okay.

This is another very handsome Chinese export porcelain platter and a large one too, 20" is about the biggest they made. You could get the entire Thanksgiving dinner on there, not just the turkey.

This is a variation of the Blue Canton pattern painted in the traditional way with underglaze blue and then with additional famille rose or rose medallion frieze added over the glaze and then further embellished with minutely painted highlighting in gold.

So this piece would have been through the kiln at least three times, always with the threat of catastrophic cracking each time, a loss of hundreds of man hours.

Because it's such a mixture of styles, and going by the lavish gilding, this is more likely to be last quarter of the 1800s in date, at the height of the Belle Epoque at a time when "more was more".

As for value and looking at comparables, this example of a smaller platter (15") sold at auction for $775 which is about right.

I would give your 20" version an auction range of $800 - $1250.

Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $2500.

Hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Hmmm...Thank you very much - any chance it is clobberware?

It's certainly reminiscent of clobber ware, you're right, but the fact that it has that frieze of rose medallion enamels must mean that that decoration at least was done at source, eg Jingdezhen, China, so there's no reason to believe the gilding was not done at the same time.

I don't know of any examples of clobber ware where the clobbering was limited to the gilding. I may be wrong, there are always exceptions (particularly as soon as you say anything dogmatic about Chinese porcelain!) but the way it's done looks like Chinese rather than European gilding. If nothing else, it's a rarity, that's for sure.

Robert S.
Interesting - thank you
Other than porcelain / ceramics what are other areas of expertise?Thank you

Other main specialties include:

• Silver
  • most of the Chinese/Japanese decorative arts,
  • Period furniture, esp. American, English, French, Italian.
very goodwill send you some more tomorrowthank you

Look forward to it!