Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Here is a sketch by Edgar Degas. It is on drawing paper,

blue-gray in color. Though it...
Here is a sketch by Edgar Degas. It is on drawing paper, blue-gray in color. Though it is not signed, it bears his raised atelier stamp, which I believe means that he either made it or approved it. The final original is in the metropolitan museum of art. This sketch has a tear in the upper left hand corner. I have been told by a friend that it's a lithograph, but.. it seems so very real. I have included some close ups so that you can tell me for certain whether this is an actual drawing or a lithograph, because I don't know how to tell.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

The only photo is the close-up. Please do add more pictures by using the add files feature.

PORTRAIT OF DURANTY

is Plate 42 from Henri Riviere's portfolio titled Degas Drawings published by Demotte in 1922.

Limited edition of 250 with blind stamp lower right.

In other words, this came out of a "book" from 1922 and is a print with a value of $400 resale.

To sell, try ads on these sites; http://www.masterpieceonline.com, artbrokerage.com, askart.com, artnet.com, artvalue.com, or artprice.com.
Some other sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the five stars now for this one, it is very important for me to get good feedback for answers.

Who is Henri Riviere?

The person that put the portfolio together and had it published.

I would like to revise that estimate on this print to $1400... typo there because I was typing too fast, my apologies.

What is a blind stamp?

The embossed mark in the paper that you added as your first photo.

What is the difference between blind stamp and atelier?

No difference, same thing.

Rarewares
Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate the update on the value, and have a great day!
-Lydia

I really appreciate the good feedback.
I look forward to working with you again soon.
You can request me but requests only last 3 minutes.
To get me again, start a new question and put "ForCustomerOnly" as the first words you write.

You can also 'favorite' me, that way I should show up as your personal Expert for antiques and appraisals.