Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a painting by Jerome 1856 the Apple Orchard. I would…

I have a painting...

I have a painting by Jerome Thompson 1856 the Apple Orchard

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I would like to know it’s value

3/9/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Is this under glass?

Jerome B Thompson (1814-1886)

"Born in Middleboro, Massachusetts, Jerome Thompson became a painter of luminous landscapes, often allegorical with rural figures in the foreground. His father was Cephas Thompson, distinguished portrait painter, who refused to give Jerome art lessons and even destroyed his early paintings because he wanted him to be a farmer.

As a youth, Jerome moved with his sister to Barnstable, Massachusetts and earned money as a sign and portrait painter. He painted Daniel Webster, and Abraham Quary, the last surviving member of the Nantucket Indian tribe. In 1835, he opened a portrait studio in New York City, but a landscape, A Pic Nick, Camden, Maine, that he entered in the 1850 National Academy exhibit, changed the direction of his painting because it got so much positive reaction.

In 1852, he went to England for several years of independent study and changed from exhibiting originals to lithographic reproductions of his work. These copies earned him financial success. After returning from England to the U.S., he painted in the Berkshire Mountains, did some romantic western landscapes and Indian subjects including Hiawatha."
Source:
Michael David Zellman, 300 Years of American Art

See the following image of the original of this piece. It is located in the Brooklyn Museum.

In addition, Thompson worked in oil on canvas which is rarely framed under glass.

Unfortunately, I must tell you that this is a print.

As a nicely framed print of Jerome B Thompson's painting - Apple Gathering - this has an estimated retail value of $250-300.

I truly wish I has better news.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

I looked him up and saw that his paintings sold for $2500 to$3500 bad even higher

Again, please see this is not an original painting but a print. The original oil is in the Brooklyn Museum. Please read my complete answer explaining this. Do not just look at value.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser