Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I wanted to see if you could help us with information /

Hello RobertI wanted to see...
Hello RobertI wanted to see if you could help us with information / details / valuation on some 18th Century Chinese Export porcelainI can send you photos with dimensionsThank you very muchM Schooler
3/9/2018
Lindie-mod
I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Thank you for your patience.
Best,
Lindie
I wanted to get my info to RoberWas in process of getting ready to upload photosCan I go ahead and upload the photos?Thank you
Robert that is
Hi, Yes go ahead and upload them that way he can view them when he comes online.
Thank you :)
Here are the photosApprox dimensions 13 x 10Thank you very much
Photo Mar 09, 7 52 58 AM.jpgPhoto M...jpgPhoto Mar 09, 7 53 05 AM.jpgPhoto M...jpgPhoto Mar 09, 7 53 12 AM.jpgPhoto M...jpgPhoto Mar 09, 7 53 18 AM.jpgPhoto M...jpgPhoto Mar 09, 7 53 18 AM.jpgPhoto M...jpgPhoto Mar 09, 7 53 23 AM.jpgPhoto M...jpgPhoto Mar 09, 7 53 28 AM.jpgPhoto M...jpg
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! This is Robert here, I'd be glad to help with your Chinese export platter.

Thanks for the dimensions and all the excellent photos. Could you very kindly add one more showing the entire back of the platter. Apologies if you already did, it obviously didn't 'stick' this end.

Many thanks,
Robert.

RobertIf this works out we will have several other pieces of export for you to help us withThank you

Perfect, that's all I need. Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can. No need to wait by the computer, you'll get an email with my response.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Thank you

This is a charming piece and quite an early one. Beautifully and minutely decorated in "famille rose" (or fencai) enamels typical of the period. It dates to the fourth quarter of the 1700s, from the days when the Chinese decorators, ever mindful of maintaining a commercial edge in their export markets, were in a phase of making their pieces look as 'European' as they could by borrowing and modifying European motifs like the huskflower swag border and the central urn with floral bouquet (both a nod to the '***** *****' and Neoclassical style so fashionable at the time) and removing anything that was too obviously Chinese. But then those two birds, a fantastically plumaged crane and a swooping songbird are emphatically Chinese and is that foreground a European garden or a Chinese paddy field? We'll never know for sure what was in the minds of these artists who of course had never been outside the city of Jingdezhen, let alone to the West, and who worked from sketch books of suggested patterns brought by the Dutch and English traders, who handed them over to middlemen in Canton or Shanghai to be taken hundreds of miles north to where the porcelain was made and decorated. The location of the actual manufacturing was a jealously guarded secret for the Chinese that few foreigners were ever allowed to see directly. The results in your platter, and in similar pieces from this era -from a unique combination of skill, artistry and whimsy- is what makes this porcelain so completely pleasing. It's also extraordinary to think that it made it all that way, from somewhere as remote as the moon seems to us today, safely over thousands of miles of rough roads and stormy oceans.

So as for value, this example of a platter in the same pattern, albeit with an extremely rare draining liner known as a mazarine, is being offered for sale retail at $6,900 which is the top end for one of these and, realistically, this seller would accept an offer in the region of $5000. Going by the size of yours and its condition, if you saw it for sale in a retail setting in an antique store, say, it would be priced at $2,500. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a top antique auction house.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Thank you RobertMuch appreciatedDoes the pattern have a name?I am going to send you another one shortlyCan you call me or do I have to call you?M Schooler -(###) ###-####
Photo Mar 09, 1 54 23 PM.jpgPhoto M...jpgPhoto Mar 09, 1 54 35 PM.jpgPhoto M...jpgF21C6480-68B6-4B55-AB65...jpegF21C64...jpeg2C2CC089-F4E5-4D9B-8744...jpeg2C2CC0...jpeg333E489C-0733-4845-8354...jpeg333E48...jpeg1CB2A3D8-8E76-440C-A331...jpeg1CB2A3...jpeg2EE752F9-0963-4D1D-ABDA...jpeg2EE752...jpegD1DD0C45-9641-4813-AD50...jpegD1DD0C...jpeg
How does payment work? i e how much have I paid you so far?Thank you

This pattern does not have a name or, if it did, it's disappeared long ago, but it is interesting that the Chinese stuck closely to certain patterns which they reproduced endlessly, so that customers could get replacements and build sets in a very efficient and 'modern' way, even though it may have meant quite a wait, at least six months at the minimum.

As far as payment is concerned, you're not charged anything until you're happy with my answer and have clicked the "Accept" tab or the rating stars. At which point, it looks like you will have paid $40. As I work as an independent agent (I work 'on' but not 'for' JustAnswers) I don't get to see the screens you see and I don't know what service you may have signed up for, so I encourage you to get all those details from Customer Service, I'm definitely not the right one to ask.

I usually only do one item per question (as we are paid by JustAnswer by the question, at no extra cost to you) so I'd be glad to do this second platter in a follow up question. I can come back to this thread for the photos, so no need to post them twice.

Just start a new Q. and put "For Robert S. only..." in the subject line and it will be sure to get to me.

Hope this makes sense.

Robert.

Robert S.