Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

What about the sepia print called SEptember Morn....risque…

What about the sepia print...
What about the sepia print called SEptember Morn....risque photo of the early 20;s
3/9/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Thanks for requesting me.

.
Can you tell a little more about it? What size is it? Is there any copyright information on your print, like a publisher or date?

~Diana

it is 18 x 24 but I cannot get a picture until I have daylight. I will look for the article also. So good night for now. mw

Hi. That's okay. I'm in no rush. I appreciate you doing that.

.

I know the original piece was done by an artist named Paul Chabas, but it's been reproduced as a print a few times. I Just wanted to make sure I have the right one.

Thank you.

I feel certain this was a print I see nothing that the name of Chabas is displayed. Thank you for telling me more about the print.

Oh it's definitely a print, but it's a print based on a painting. Does it look a bit like this?

.

https://imgur.com/a/mtwgZ

I don't think I have any info about the piece. yes, the print is most like this with the leg direction, etc
It was a "hot" item in reprints on lots of things like cups/plates, etc. He was French and original Chabas sold it to a Russisan for 10 K. C. died old and rich.Now for art of recent times Howard Carr, Betty Carr, Gor***** *****, Eddie Warrick, Michael Stoyanov, Pat Pauli (pottery,} Becky Joy, Luigi Kasimir "milk'" ksdl-146 #74 , Harvey Rattey (bronze) Zuni Indian knife wing God l, ate 1940's-50's Navaho Al Mose 1984 pastel (Allen Mose Dinah Navaho) Wendal Moore,Jewelry ERTE Fireflies signed limited edition 19/250
Thank you and I am off to bed. Marilyn

Hi Marilyn. That's okay.

.

I think what you have is an early 20th century print of Paul Chabas' painting "September Morn". Chabas was a French artist born in 1869 and passed away in 1937. It's believe he painted the original in 1911. It's currently located in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. It was a very controversial painting considering it depicts a young nude girl in a lake. It has a neat history too. It was displayed at the Salon in Paris in 1912. Then it was purchased and taken to Moscow, Russia. You're right about that. It disappeared after the Revolution of 1917 and didn't reappear until 1935 as part of a collection by Calouste Gulbenkian, a British businessman. It was sold after Gulbenkian's death to a broker in Philadelphia who donated it to the Metropolitan museum.

.

It was first reproduced as prints back in 1913 and there was controversy over the prints. A number of the people that published them were charged fines, prints were destroyed. It was actually the center of big debate over art, censorship and deciding what was "vulgar" or not.

.

I would say your copy is an early 20th century print. If it's in good shape, it'll be worth about $200 to $250. They're still pretty collectible, especially these older prints.

.

If you have any more questions, please let me know. I'll be glad to help with whatever I can.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

Have a great evening

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser