Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

A loveseat and matching chair were hidden in a very hard to…

A loveseat and matching...

A loveseat and matching chair were hidden in a very hard to access nook in my daughter's late father-in-law's basement. His widow has no idea where they came from, so we're figuring Boston, his home town of long ago. Near pristine condition, maybe because the fabric is so unpleasant against the skin!

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It's not stuffed with horsehair, more likely cotton batt and springs.

3/9/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the pieces.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the pieces.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I sent photos as a follow-up after I put in my credit card. Are you able to see them now?

No. They did not come through at this end.

Please try to use the ADD FILES link. Add the photo slowly allowing it to upload before clicking OK.

Only two pictures came through now...one close up of the fabric and one of the whole loveseat.

I need one of the chair.

Then I need you to look at the joins and tell me how they are held together..pegs, screws, nails? If screws, what kind of head do they have and are they sunken into the wood?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm afraid I don't have a photo of the seat, but the design and execution appear to me to be identical.

Thank you. I do need a picture of the chair.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. I'll see if my daughter can send me some more photographs, but I may have already missed her for the evening.

I have a clear one of the loveseat. I just need the chair picture. There is no hurry at this end.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great. My daughter confirms no visible plugs either flush or proud, covering screw holes. She's going to take some more photographs and send them to me.

Then you are saying that there are no screws?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct. No screws. But there won't be any more photos tonight, not adequate light in her condo to take decent pictures.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will send more photos when I receive them. Thanks and have a good evening.

I look forward to working with you tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It may not be until Saturday, but yes, I look forward to what you have to say about the pieces. They are very attractive, but downright creepy to sit on.

Understood. There is no hurry.

Your excellent photos came through. Please give me a few minutes to study them and type my complete answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Take all the time you need. I'm in my Woodshop so life is bliss

Thank you.

The style of these originates in the American Centennial Revival (1870s) of old designs. This set of chair and settee is best described as 1870s Tudor revival.

The estimated retail value of the set of one chair and settee is $2500-3200.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Doris,That's great info and I've passed it on to my kids who must now decide what to do with it all. Can you recommend any books they might cite when communicating with a prospective buyer?Thanks,Kitty

Kitty,

This book is available in paperback for $5 on Amazon.

Thomas Sheraton's Classical Revival Furniture Designs Paperback – December 8, 2011

by Thomas Sheraton (Author)

A Google search using the phrase "Centennial Revival Furniture" yields a lot of information.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser