Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Is it called an antique? I have a soiled field map from the…

Customer Question
Is it called an...

Is it called an antique? I have a soiled field map from the WWII activity on Iwo Jima. My father, who was departing with other Marines, asked the commander (?) who had been using it to direct the troops, if he could have it.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

My father explained how he acquired it. He passed away in Dec. 2012. It's not a romantic story, but my dad was a man of few words. I didn't even know that he was on I.J. until a few years before his death.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Thank you, Rarewares. So, is this map a collector curiosity or an antique? Someone once told me an item must be 100 years old or older to be considered an antique. I didn't think that applied to everything, but perhaps more narrowly to furniture, household items and tools.
I think this question does not need a phone call. If it is only a curiosity, a "memento" that has little value, I may have spent too much for the response. If there were comps of some kind, a reference to a collector or some other information to advance my search, then, yes, I will pay.
Thank you, *****: WWII field map of Iwo Jima, folded with one of the surfaces soiled from having been exposed during the conflict. I will send a photo when contacted by map/Iwo Jima/WWII Antique Expert.
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 4 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Your first question is this an antique? No it is not considered an antique because of the age/ It is however military memorabilia and very collectible to collectors of WWII items.

If you could post a photo of the map and measurements I can tell you the value of this piece. Also is there any lettering as to the year it was made or who printed the map? I have worked with several of these maps and they do hold a value especially if the soiled side is all that is damaged. Does it have any tears? Thank you I look forward to helping you. Please note the phone call premium service is auto sent by the company i like to keep the response here in written format so you may have a record to print out later when we are done.

Hi just checking back to see if you had had a chance to post photos Thank you
I'll try to post a photo soon (before
Monday ).

Hi thank you I will check back for the photos I appreciate your help and there is no rush I will not close out this post. I look forward to seeing the map. Have a wonderful weekend.