Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have bought a number of Gorham "silver" & plates. The

I have bought a...

I have bought a number of Gorham "silver" B&b plates.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

The seller listed them as 180 Sterling plated silver but I have no knowledge of such a metal. Can i upload the stamping on the plate for you to take a look at and give me a hint as to what I have?

3/9/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send one photo of one plate.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Hi Doris, Do you have the gist of my question regarding the Gorham "180 Sterling Silver" B&B plate?

Yes, indeed.

Did you see my request for pictures?

I am quite happy to continue to "chat" by typing because I want to keep a transcript of our conversation
Are you there?
Besides I need to upload a photo of the markings on the back of the plate
Doris I am getting no response at all from you

please be patient. I need time to type.

********************
I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.
I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer you can print out at no extra cost.

********************

I have asked for photos. Please send.

Thank you for the two photos. Please allow some time for me to type a complete answer.

I am sorry for hassling you because I didn't see the notification regarding the delay in response

Gorham bread and butter plates in pattern 180 are sterling. This is the description you first entered. If this is your pattern number, then each sells for $130 in a high end store.

However, the picture you sent states that the pattern is Y439. EPNS means ElectroPlated Nickel Silver or just plain plated silver. The plates with these Gorham marks sell for $43 each in a high end store.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Doris, the seller stated that the plate were 180 Sterling silver - I assumed he meant that this is the metal from which they are made.
But there is no sterling mark on the plate, only EPNS.
The other marks are an anchor which I assume is Gorham's trade mark and Gorham's name.
I don't know what I have because there is no silver quality mark
Do you think I have something which contains silver? - either in the metal or as a coating?
Also I do not understand the term "180 Sterling Silver" would you explain it to me, please, because i can find no reference to it on the internet
I guess finally, I am not interested in selling; I just want to know what I have
Sorry I forgot to add that the final mark is I assume the pattern number Y439.
I just think the seller plucked "180 Sterling Silver" out of the air to enhance the sale prospects because the actual marks were not clear in the photos he sent

First 180 sterling silver means the Gorham pattern number is ***** Anything with the word "sterling" is sterling.

The seller gave you the wrong information.

The marks on the plate you sent as I explained are the Gorham marks for plated silver bread and butter plates in pattern number Y439.

Again, EPNS means ElectroPlated Nickel Silver and is the name for plated silver.

I am sorry the seller misled you.

Positive please.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************