Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an antique bedroom set that was given to me by my…

I have an antique...

I have an antique bedroom set that was given to me by my grandmother. It has tags on the back that say Thomasville Chair Company. I have the highboy dresser, long dresser with mirror, full size four poster bed and a nightstand. I am interested to know the name of the design and the approximate value of the set.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Do you need pictures of the furniture?

3/8/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the items both front and back.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the pieces.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Do you want pictures of the furniture?

Again,

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.Can you send photos?If so, then -Please send photos of the items both front and back.Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the pieces.You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.An explanation of this method can be found here:http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.Kind regards,Doris
I am in South America. Phone calls aren't very reliable and expensive.

I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.
I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer you can print out at no extra cost.

. What size is the bed?

Full size

Please allow time for me to research current values and type my complete answer. I would appreciate your patience.

No worries. I can wait.

Thank you.

Thomasville Chair Co was established in 1904 in Thomasville, NC. While the company changed hands over the years since then, it did not cease production until 2014.

Your set was made ca 1930s-1940s most closely resembling a revival of early 19thC Federal style..

The estimated retail value for the set as described and pictured is $2600-3200.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Hi Doris, I looked up the Federal style on and I didn't see anything that looked like my bedroom set. The Federal style was straight/flat fronted and mine is curved, like a wave. Mine doesn't look like any of the Federal style furniture pictures I looked at.

http://www.ralstonfurniture.com/federal.html

This website explains that the Federal style is a combination of several periods. See the curved front sideboard at the end.

As with many 20thC style revivals, the reproductions often take liberties to adapt to the contemporary customer base.

Yes, most Federal style furniture does not have curved fronts, but some pieces do. English furniture of the same period - George III - and the Regency - does have some curvilinear designs.

Your Thomasville set style does combine the curved lines of the 19thC French styles as well with the American Federalist styles.

I hope this helps.