Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I know I have sent a lot of photos, but; these really peak…

I know I have sent...
I know I have sent a lot of photos, but; these jugs really peak my interest in whether they are valuable or not. My husband and his friend went garage saleing and came home with several years ago. We were having a yard sale and an antique dealer guy had stopped and my husband showed him the jug that is shaped like a boot and they guy freaked out and said to not even hold it by the handle. He told us they could be from the Palientithic or Neolithic period?
DSCF0457.JPGDSCF0457.JPGDSCF0462.JPGDSCF0462.JPGDSCF0465.JPGDSCF0465.JPGDSCF0479.JPGDSCF0479.JPGDSCF0474.JPGDSCF0474.JPGDSCF0476.JPGDSCF0476.JPGDSCF0481.JPGDSCF0481.JPGDSCF0483.JPGDSCF0483.JPGDSCF0487.JPGDSCF0487.JPGDSCF0489.JPGDSCF0489.JPGDSCF0489.JPGDSCF0489.JPG
3/8/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

This is one that I am not familiar with. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Okay! What do I do now?
Is someone working on my request for information on the "jugs" I submitted last evening?
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. I have a few questions. Can you tell me the measurements of these jugs and what location we're you found in if you know? An estimate on the sizes would be fine also. They look very nice and I will begin researching these and check back the above information Thank you I look forward to helping.
Okay, here we go: The jug that we lovingly call the "Boot Jug" is 11 1/2" Long, 8 1/2" Wide, 8 5/8" Tall, and the mouth opening is, 5 1/2" wide. The next jug we call the "Long Neck Jug" is 11 3/4" tall, 28 1/8" around, and the mouth opening is, 2 1/4" wide. The next jug, "The Pitcher Jug" is 12 1/8" tall, 33 3/4" around and the mouth opening is, 3 5/8" wide. The last jug, which is the largest one is 14" tall, 40" around, and the mouth opening is 4 1/4" wide. My husband and I were trying to remember where these came from, exactly because we purchased these over 6 years ago, but; we do have a general idea. It was definitely in the Northeast area. There were town wide garage sales from Raymondville, NY to Malone, NY. If I remember right, this might have been an Estate sale, but; we went so many places for three to four weekends in a row. I hope this info will help. Thanks

Hi Thank you for this information This is perfect and I will have this completed by tomorrow afternoon as the research is a process to be accurate. The sizes were what I was needing. I do appreciate your help. Look forward to completing this for you.

Thank you.

you are very welcome I shall post tomorrow when completed

Have you been able to find any information about these jugs yet?
thank you for your patience I will have my full evaluation done this evening and post it for you. These have been an interesting lot for sure. I have the last two finishing on looking up the values.
I do appreciate your patience on these as I have been researching and just getting values now through the data bases
Wonderful! Thank you.

Thank you for your patience these are primitive Native American Indian food vessels. Without seeing these pieces I can not say certainty the tribe of nomadic Indians but they are Northern American. The women were in charge of food prep, gathering , cooking and the formation of the needed vessels and utensils. These appear to have been well cared for and in great shape. The indent on the bottom of some of the photos was done so it was easier to carry on the head while walking, the flat bottomed pieces were easier to set down and not worry of overturning. These appear to be 1800 era and the values are noted below. The black markings on the bottom was where they were placed on the fire to cook or heat what was inside. The seed storage was placed up high or hung in the buildings to keep rodents out for planting the following year.

Boot Jug" is 11 1/2" Long, 8 1/2" Wide, 8 5/8" Tall, and the mouth opening is, 5 1/2" wide. ......... Used for food storage 350.00

The next jug we call the "Long Neck Jug" is 11 3/4" tall, 28 1/8" around, and the mouth opening is, 2 1/4" wide. ............. held water for pouring in cooking .......... 325-350.00

The next jug, "The Pitcher Jug" is 12 1/8" tall, 33 3/4" around and the mouth opening is, 3 5/8" wide. .......... this is a pitcher for pouring drinks........... 450.00

The last jug, which is the largest one is 14" tall, 40" around, and the mouth opening is 4 1/4" wide. ...... used for food/ seed storage.... 550.00

nice set of jugs and jars. If I may be of further help please let me know.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Oh my goodness! They were in such good shape, we weren't sure if they were very old. This information is wonderful! Thank you so much! Very pleased!
Thank you I am glad to have been able to help you