Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have this pair of chairs that was part of the last

Customer Question
Hi Robert, I have this pair...
Hi Robert,
I have this pair of chairs that was part of the last inventory i purchased. Since I typically deal in Chinese, these are totally out of my area and it may not be worth much of anything but i thought I would get your thoughts. My guess is French Renaissance, but I may be way off. The chairs are in basically good shape other than the one small spindle that needs repair as shown in the photos and a couple age cracks that need to be re-glued in the lower stretchers.
Any info would be appreciated
Keith
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
FR-18A.jpgFR-18A.jpgFR-18B.jpgFR-18B.jpgFR-18C.jpgFR-18C.jpgFR-18D.jpgFR-18D.jpgFR-18E.jpgFR-18E.jpgFR-18F.jpgFR-18F.jpgFR-18G.jpgFR-18G.jpgFR-18H.jpgFR-18H.jpgFR-18i.jpgFR-18i.jpgFR-18J.jpgFR-18J.jpgFR-18K.jpgFR-18K.jpgFR-18L.jpgFR-18L.jpgFR-18M.jpgFR-18M.jpgFR-18N.jpgFR-18N.jpgFR-18O.jpgFR-18O.jpgFR-18P.jpgFR-18P.jpgFR-18Q.jpgFR-18Q.jpg
3/9/2018
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 6 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Keith,

Just letting you know I got the photos and Q. on the nice pair of chairs.

I'll have an answer for you as soon as pos.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Hi Keith,

You're quite right about these, they are French Renaissance in influence, a 19th century re-working of a design from 16th century France, circa 1530 - 1590 and known as the Henry II style after the French king who ruled from 1547-1559 but who's name has been assigned ever since with the style which lasted a good deal long than his reign, in the same way that "Elizabethan" covers a period a lot longer than her reign too.

The indicative features are the arcade of baluster spindles forming a rail across the back, and the serpentine X-form stretcher.

This pair are beautifully carved and detailed, made from oak. They could well be French made, but these were also made in America in the late 1800s and early 1900s as deliberate but quite authentic French period reproductions. Either way, they're about a 100 to 125 years old.

Yours appear to be in astonishingly good condition and the woven burlap webbing holding the springs in the seats looks as if may be the original of if not, has certainly been there for the better part of the chairs' life.

As for value, this French Renaissance revival style is not at the peak of fashion at the moment, but chairs of this quality and detail will always find a willing buyer. At a good antique auction house they would sell in the $200 - $300 range. So full retail/replacement/insurance value: $600 each or $1200 for the pair.

Hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,
Robert.