Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an original painting from France that my sister

brought me in 1963. She...
I have an original painting from France that my sister brought me in 1963. She was given this painting by Millet's son at his home, who painted it. It is signed Steliv St. Millet. The name of the painting is Barbizon. It is a painting of the home that was across the street from where their country Gallery was. I not only am interested in the value, but where I could possible re-sale it for the best price. Can you help in pointing me in the right direction?
Sincerely,
Teresa Buoch
3/8/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Please add images at your convenience by using the +Add File feature next to the SEND button.

I will need to see to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the completed framing. The back of a painting tells us just as much as the front sometimes.

Give me time to do some research after you add pictures.
No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I do respond.

I have taken 4 photos, but I do not know how to compress them and your system says that they are too large to send. Help!
Teresa
No thank you.

If you crop the slightest bit, then save, it will reduce the size of the image enough to send.

I have cropped P1010165 down slightly on the edges of the painting to send it.

I am unable to find a match for this artist. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Good Morning Teresa,

My name is***** have checked all the data bases in the United States for this artist's name, he does not show up as a listed artist, nor do any of his sold works. That does not mean that his work is not worth something, it simply means that his work that sold was not recorded anywhere here that can be found. I have a friend that lives not far from Paris, I can get her to run a check on his work for France if you like? Then I can compare those prices, to works that are similar that have sold here and get an idea of what it should sell for in the US if you like?

Glenda

That would be great Glenda. Thank you,
Teresa Buoch

You are welcome.

I will let you know as soon as I hear from her.

Glenda

Hello

I heard from my friend in France, who is also an antique/art dealer there. She said that Steliv St. Millet is a pretty well known artist, his work sells very nicely there. She knows that he also sells his work in the UK. So she thinks it should do well in the US. I just need to know what size your painting is?

Glenda

The actual painting is 5.5" X 8" . I had it framed museum mount, so it is in excellent condition.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The signed Steliv St. Millet Painting, 5.5 x 8 " Framed Museum Mount origin France, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $400.00-450.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $450.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were insuring this I would insure it for $450.00-600.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser