Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

What is the best way to sell rare books. I don't have many…

Customer Question
What is the best way...
What is the best way to sell rare books. I don't have many but would like to sell them.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/8/2018
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 4 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Though it may sound cliche, the best platform for you to sell these is on Ebay. It is where the most potential buyers would first go to search for such items. I do not recommend selling direct to a dealer, as a dealer will offer 10% - 30% of the lowest perceived value.

If the books are of substantial value and on the collector radar, then the best method for selling is through a rare and collectible book auction house. Here is a list for you with links to the most reputable auction companies for book sales:

PBA Rare Book Auctions in San Francisco: http://www.pbagalleries.com/

Swann’s Auction Galleries: http://www.swanngalleries.com/bo_oks.cgi

Bloomsbury London: http://www.bloomsburyauctions.com/

Heritage Auctions: www.ha.com

Australian Book Auctions: http://www.australianbookauctions.com/

Dominic Winter Auctions: www.dominic-winter.co.uk/

Bonham’s Book and Manuscripts Dept: www.bonhams.com/departments/BOK/

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora