Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Hullo A pair of conserve dishes with spoons. One has two…

Hullo Robert A pair of...
Hullo Robert A pair of conserve dishes with spoons. One has two leopards the other has one, The spoon handles are leopards. One glass bowl is marked ARC France the other just says France All three Leopards on the bowls are marked DC on their bottoms. They were described as pewter.
The bowls are 3.75 inches diameter the leopards are 2.25 inches tall.
Something different for you
Kind Regards
Chris
ja8mar 013.JPGja8mar...JPGja8mar 014.JPGja8mar...JPGja8mar 015.JPGja8mar...JPGja8mar 016.JPGja8mar...JPGja8mar 017.JPGja8mar...JPGja8mar 018.JPGja8mar...JPGja8mar 020.JPGja8mar...JPGja8mar 022.JPGja8mar...JPG
3/8/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Chris,

These are charming. Thanks for all the great photos as always.

I should have something on them later today.

Many thanks!

Robert

Hi Chris,

This is a very decorative set. I believe these are supposed to be cheetahs and yes, the material they are made from is indeed pewter.

The glassware is marked for the French industrial glassworks, ARC International, headquartered in Arques, France, which grew from a small glassworks called Verrerie d’Arques formed in 1825 to being currently the world's largest manufacturer of tableware glass with factories all round the world, especially China, Brazil, Russian and Saudi Arabia. In 2008 they produced their one billionth balloon wine glass!

Over the years, they have teamed up with numerous industrial designers and artists. In this instance the "DC" mark belongs to the contemporary artist Diana Carmichael who designed these. They were, and still are, made in South Africa, first launched in 1995, and marketed as part of her "Cheetah Africa" range, that includes all sorts of other tableware like candlesticks, napkin rings, utensils, etc, all with these figural cheetahs integrated into the design. You can see the current range here.

As for the secondary market value for Diana Carmichael pieces, it seems to be quite buoyant, this equivalent bowl and spoon to yours sold on line for $70 which is about the top end. I would say $90 - $140 for your pair together would not be unreasonable, sold on eBay.

Hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Thankyou. I did fear that they were rather contemporary for me and I paid a bit too much at £100. Swayed by good looks again
Kind regards
Chris

I know that temptation well! These are collectibles of the future, no doubt, but you may break even if you sold them in two lots.