Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a letter from Buckingham Palace the Queens Lady in…

I have a letter...

I have a letter from Buckingham Palace the Queens Lady in waiting 1949. I was wondering if it would have any value other than family.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is dated 1949. The lady in waiting hand written looks like Jean Rantis or Rantin. Not sure.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Not that I can see. The Lady in waiting is thanking my mother for the photo of Her Majesty done some years ago. and wishes my mother good wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

3/8/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

~Nora

Thank for the image and for your patience, I was not in the office most of this weekend.

Your letter from Buckingham Palace from 1944 was on behalf of Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon (1900 – 2002) who was the wife of King George VI and the mother of Queen Elizabeth II.

The letter was typed on Buckingham Palace letterhead and signed by the Lady in Waiting, Lady Jean Rankin (1905-2001). She was responsible for the Queen Mother's correspondences.

Here is a link for you on Lady Rankin's obituary in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/22/world/lady-jean-rankin-96-dies-waited-on-queen-mother.html

Sale value of the letter is $20 - $40 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora

POSITIVE

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora