Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have two antique books I would like to find out about. 1 -

I have two antique...

I have two antique books I would like to find out about. 1 - how rare they are and 2 - what they are worth. How would you suggest I go about this?

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Don't know anything about these books other than they are old - copyrights late 1800's. How do I get a value?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Titles: " Titles: "

3/7/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Unfortunately, there's no exact way to say how "rare" a book might be. There's no database of production records or anything like that to see how many copies of a book are made. The only real exceptions are more modern limited editions or numbered copies. If a book isn't one of those, then there's no real way to say for sure. I wish there was. It would make our jobs much easier.

.

I can help with values though. I need to know the titles, the publishers, the copyright or publishing dates, and descriptions of what your covers/spines look like.

.
Thanks,

Diana

Titles: "The Lives of The Fathers, Martyrs, and other principal saints. Published by D & J Sadlier & Co,***** New York - copyright 1880 by Rev D Alban Butler"What Every Woman Should Know" Illustrated published by J.J Smith & Co, Chicago & Philadelphia copyright 1893
Don't want to chat. I will wait for your reply.

Hi. Can you describe your covers? Are they cloth, leather, gold writing, etc?

~Diana

Oh descriptions of spines/covers:
The Saints & Martyrs: spine & covers leather with gold embossed letters & figures - about 3" deep
What Every Woman: spine & cover leather with embossed black pictures with gold lettering - about 3" deep
Wrong - "What Every Woman cover and spine are cloth with gold lettering & black embossed pictures. Spine - letters were gold lettering but have worn off
Actually, I think they are both cloth after looking at them a little closer. Sorry!!!!

Hi. Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it.

.

Do you have the entire set of Rev. Butler's work or just one volume? "The Lives of The Fathers..." was generally published as a multi-volume set. I know Sadlier often published their version as a set of 4 books.

That's okay. Sometimes it's hard to tell. There's some very deceiving cloth that easily looks like leather.

fly notes it is "two volumes in one" vol 1
are you still there?

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

.

On your "What every Woman Should Know" book, is there an author listed?

34;what every woman" authors are Pye Henry Chavasse, MD & Sarah Hackett Stevenson MD

That's everything I need. Thank you.

.

If you'll give me some time to research them both, I'll get the values together for you.

~Diana

Thank you so much.

It's no problem. I'm happy to help.

Diana, can I log off and then log back on with the URL that is sent with the reply notification?

Hi. Absolutely. That link should bring you right back. I believe I'm just about done and should have an answer for you within a few minutes.

Hi. Thank you again for all the information.
.
On your first book, "The Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints", was orginally published between 1756 and 1759 in London. Rev. Butler was a Roman Catholic priest and spent 30 years studying saints.
.
It's been published many times and in countless versions over the years. Some of oldest reprints go back to 1780 when it was published in huge set of 12 volumes. Over the years it's been edited and consided and can often be found in sets rangings from 4 to 9 volumes. In some cases some of the volumes were combined into 1 book, like with yours.
.
While your book isn't a first edition or even one of the earliest, it's still a very old copy. It looks like Sadlier first published it around 1846 as 12 volumes combined into 4 books. Your book should be one volume from that 4 volume set.
.
Just one volume with be worth about $40 to $65 in fair to good condition (spine damage, foxing, spotting, minor tears, etc). It'll be worth about $75 to $100 in very good to excellent condition (very minor shelf wear, intact spine, no tears or rips, no stains, etc),.
.
On your second book, Pye Henry Chavasse was a 19th century male English author who wrote a handful of publications on women's health, pregnancy, children, etc.
.
It looks like your book was first published in 1887 by HJ Smith and it's been reprinted many times since the late 1800s. It was actually printed quite a bit during the initial run, which means there are quite a few copies out there. As far as I can tell, it's still being published, though these modern copies are not nearly of the same quality.
.
JJ Smith is an odd publisher for this book. They weren't one of the major companies that published Chavasse's works. I would argue that even though the book title isn't rare or hard to come by, one by this publisher is definitely uncommon.
.
It should be worth about $25 to $50 in fair to good condition (spine damage, foxing, spotting, minor tears, etc). It'll be worth about $60 to $90 in very good to excellent condition (very minor shelf wear, intact spine, no tears or rips, no stains, etc),.

If you do decide to sell them, I'd contact vintage book shops in your area. You might also check with local antique stores. There are a number of collectors that deal in books. To be completely honest, you'll definitely get a higher value by selling it yourself.
.
If you want to try selling your books yourself, I highly recommend checking out Etsy, Barnes and Nobles Marketplace and Amazon's Marketplace. They are great sources for selling and they do handle worldwide sales.

.

You can also check into:Albris or Biblio. Albris actually has one of the best price rates out there, but Biblio tends to get more customer traffic.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Diana, your answer really helped me out. I have a few other books that I would like to have researched but will need to wait until tomorrow. Thank you for time and excellent answer! More info that I thought I would get!

Hi. You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it.

.

I'll be glad to help with anything else you might have. If you would like to use me on any further questions. please put my name (DianaF) at the beginning of the question. That will make sure it gets to me

.
Best Wishes,

~Diana