Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have some plates left to me by great grandmother and

Customer Question
Hi i have some...

Hi i have some plates left to me by great grandmother and wasn't sure if they were valuable/worth insuring

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Not much else! i can give you pictures of the stamps on the back - I think they're from the start of last century

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I've got 7 of them if that helps?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

What sizes are your plates?

.

Pictures would be great. Anything you have of the stamps on the back and the pattern on the front will be great.

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

sorry i don't have phone reception - just a brief idea of value would be great!

Hi Julian.

Thank you! Those are pretty. That's no problem on the phone call. That's just an upsale offered by the site. I actually don't participate in phone calls, so that works for me. =)

.

If you'll give me a bit of time, I'll see what I can find for you.

Diana

ok wonderful! thank you

Hi Julian.

Thank you for your patience. That's a pretty pattern.

.

Coalport has been around since the early 1800s. Your pieces have the traditional crown mark they introduced in 1881. They added "england" in 1891. Based on your registration number on the bottom, your great-grandmother's plates should date to 1902. They're definitely old. They are technically antiques.

.

Z.3137 is your pattern. It's an exotic pattern that's described as a bird and tree with a pink border with flowers. It also game in a green color.

.

Based on your size of about 22.5cm, those should be luncheon plates.

.
They do have some crazing, but that's common with age. If they all look like the picture you showed me, they're in excellent condition. They should be worth about $30 to $40 for each plate. They'll have an insurance value of $50 each.

.

The prices will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell them. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling them yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo. Since you're in Australia, there's also Gumtree, Tradingpost and Austree. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed you viewed my answer. Is there a problem with my answer or anything else I can help with? I welcome any and all feedback.

Best Wishes,
Diana