Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a old print that has been hanging in the house

Hi I have a old...
Hi I have a old print that has been hanging in the house forever and I would love to know if it should be insured or not. Thanks sylvia
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Sorry I dident read your rely about the pics until after I will see what I can do.

I am familiar the famous painting that is the original of this.

Is this on canvas?

Digital prints are often done on canvas. The lower margin states that this is a print. Often the canvas of digital prints have been textured to resemble the brush strokes of an oil painting.

Is there any info on the back? If so, what does it say? Are there any numbers?

Here is a pic of the numbers I found
D/511

Thank you. Those numbers do not indicate that this print is a limited edition.

This is a digital print on canvas. The original is entitled Primavera , by Botticelli. It was painted in 1670s-80s and hangs in the Uffizi Gallery in Florence , Italy.

As a lovely framed print of a famous Renaissance painting, the estimated retail value is $450-550.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
*********************