Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a vintage saw blade cut glass pedestal item very rare…

I have a vintage...

I have a vintage saw blade cut glass pedestal item very rare can I send a photo .

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is saw toothed on top and bottom of pedestal might be a candy dish?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It might be American brilliant and I haven’t seen anything similar in comparison

3/7/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Did you get the photos?

I have not yet received any images.

~Nora

You should have them now?

Thank you for the images.

This is a pedestal candy dish, however it is molded glass and not cut crystal.

It is molded in a pattern design made to look like cut glass, however this is vintage 20th century glass ware.

High value is $40 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora
Wow I had an Aunt look it up in one of her books in 1971 and she appraised it at 350 dollars back then. How do you tell the difference between molded and cut glass for future disappointments? Lol

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

Molded glass has rounded edges and the design is not sharp angle cut like one would feel and see on cut crystal.

It does take practice to discern between the two types.

The best method for telling the difference is to have actual pieces of cut glass and molded glass in your hands, so to speak, so you can feel and see the differences.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora