Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

What year does the makers shown in the photo date to. I have…

Customer Question
What year does the...

What year does the makers mark shown in the photo date to

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have a complete dinner service including many larger plates and tereins whit with royal blue outer surround and gold leaf rose design with a gold rim I have not seen anything like it and I have looked alot the mark on the back is the same as the one shown in the photo on the previouse page

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

There are other numbers as in 1/14 I believe that this is the set number the history as I am aware is that it was purchased in europe over 20 years ago and transported over to Australia where I purchased it at a small auction house in a deseased estate sale I was indicated that it was from the 17th century ?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/7/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?
If so, then -
Please send ONE photo of ONE plate showing the pattern.
Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.
If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.
An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.
Please tell me the following -
How many people does your set serve? (These are called place settings.)
How many pieces does each person have?
What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

Hi Doris can I send them via email that would be easier for me as im not sure how to upload the photoes I will send the list of all item and the marks and a photo of one of the plates

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to ***@******.*** with the following EXACT information.

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your site user name and real name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same email address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours or more.
.

They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Your pictures of the pattern and mark came through to me. However, it is impossible to read the writing on the notebook sheets.

Please tell me the following -
How many pieces does each person have?

Kind regards,
Doris

Hi Doris
the 250mm diameter plates are qty22 , 210 diameter plates qty 10 , 2 large serving plate 315mm diameter ,1 large serving plate 505mm longx 365mm wide , 1 large serving plate445mm long x 330mm wide , 1 large tereenlid and base 250mm diameter 130mm high, terren lid and base 270 diameter 80mm high, i terren base only 270 diameter, square shaped bowl 225mm x 70mm high, square shaped bowl200mm x 70mm high, 2 gravy boats with basesfixed ,2 diamond shaped bowl/plate 265mm long x 185mm wide, 2 oval bowl plates large all the above are numbered 6/62 except 12 of the 250mm wide plates that there are 10 of them that are 6/14i and 10 of the 210mm plates that are numbered 6/14i I imagine that the set was added to with the additional plates the set is in great condition there is were to one only of the oval bowl/plate that i mentioned this must of been the popular one , I am particularly interested in the date stamp I hope this makes it clearer for you and look forward to your response

Thank you for the details. Please allow time for me to calculate the values.

See the following image. It shows your mark is that of Konigliche Porzellan Manufactur with Scepter and Orb located in Berlin. This mark has been used since 1870. The English translation for the name KPM is Royal Porcelain Manufactory.

Your style pattern dates ca 1904-1920.

The estimated retail value of your set as described is $1900-2400.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com
Replacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk
ReplaceYourChina.com

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Packing porcelain from Haviland Internatiional:

1. Start with a layer of packing material such as bubble wrap, packing pellets or poly foam at the bottom of a sturdy box. For shipping some items it may be better to use more than one interior carton if more than one item is being shipped.

2. Heavy items, such as pottery, platters, tureens or vases must be wrapped in large bubble wrap (two layers is even better) and placed in smaller separate boxes before adding them to the larger outer shipping carton. This is known as DOUBLE BOXING, a box inside a box.

3. Begin packing the box with the heaviest items, then proceed with the lighter items as you fill the box.

4. Wrap plates, bowls and serving pieces separately in bubble wrap. Heavier pieces and delicate items need to be wrapped in large bubble wrap. To ensure that the wrapping stays in place, secure it with a small strip of tape or, better yet, rubber bands. Rubber bands are easier to remove, as they do not require a knife or razor blade, and will stretch and shrink as the ambient temperature changes.

5. Fill any empty space with styrofoam peanuts (or crumpled newspaper, or ...) to prevent contents from shifting and to keep the box firm.

6. Add a final layer of packing material to the top of the box before you seal it to prevent the contents from shifting and to keep the box firm.

7. Label the outer shipping carton with FRAGILE labels.

8. If you are willing to drop the box to the floor from a standing position after you have packed it then you have probably packed it correctly.

Following these instructions carefully will prevent problems for both buyers and sellers.

Depending on the value or importance of the pieces being shipped, you may wish to consider using plastic boxes (Tupperware, etc.) as your interior containers after bubble wrapping each piece individually. These are much less likely to be crushed if the parcel receives rough handling in shipment.

It is recommended to use Priority Mail insured or UPS for your shipments*. Parcel Post may take up to three weeks to reach the destination and the parcels are handled more frequently.

* It is not recommended to use FedEx to ship porcelain and glass. The fine print on their website states that their limit of liability for these commodities is $100, regardless of how much insurance is purchased at the time of shipment.

UPS shipping guidelines for porcelain and glass require that each piece be surrounded on all sides with two inches of packing material. This may seem excessive, but you will realize that this is only to try to guarantee safe arrival, especially when you open an improperly packed parcel that contains broken pieces.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

Hi Doris, my research showed a different date as shown on the website available and I had been told that the pieces date in the 1800 but thats fine I am more interested in the date not so much the price but it was good to get your comments on them , I have a Chinese steel that I would like your opinion on is this an area that your are familiar with ?? its a statue just to make it clearer with Chinese writing on the back

I am very sorry but it is against Just Answer site policy to stack questions.

You will need to go back to the login and enter another piece as a separate new question.

I would be delighted to help you there.

Just type "For Doris Only" as the first three words of your new question. Most of the pros on the site will respect that request.

Again, I would be glad to help but enter the piece in new question.

***Positive please on this one here. Use the 5 stars.***

Kind regards,

Doris