Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a piece of Jewelry that was owned by that I would…

I have a piece...

I have a piece of Jewelry that was owned by James Dean that I would like to find out the value of.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

The piece is an ID Bracelet, Silver, James on the front D.D. 1955 on the back, I have a certificate of authenticity from Roslyn Herman. The piece was acquired from the collection of Gordon Bay Deans Makup artist for all 3 of his films.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I did nome research on the printing on the back, D.D. 1955, I believe it stands for Dean's Dilemma, which is what he painted on his 1955 Triumph Tiger 110, Dean often named his vehicles.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

I have read all three of those the first and last are blogs not actual articles, the people calling Herman's items fake have no evidence of that, I have done a lot of research and found only those two accusations with nothing to back them up. the second one is an article which Herman was speaking on her expertise on the subject of Hollywood Memrobialia. I do not know why someone would produce a fake with such an obscure back "D.D. 1955". Your thoughts please

At this juncture, I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Me too, thanks you.
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Greetings and good evening, my name is ***** ***** I'd like to assist you with this question. You bring up an interesting item and in researching the piece I find that it has either been offered twice at auction or there are two extant in the market.

I am not making a claim on the authenticity of the piece, but I'd like your thoughts on this example which was sold at auction in 2010 for $3250USD and this example which sold at auction in February for $1,125USD (which may in all likely-hood be your purchase). I've gone back and forth and simply cannot be certain if these are the same pieces or not. Assuming they are the same piece and assuming authenticity, then the fair market value lies between they two, in the $2,500USD range. As a verified JD signature (by itself) usually commands a minimum $1100USD price, his personal effects such as this Jacket which sold at auction for $1800USD or this sweater which brought $8000USD, usually sell for quite a bit more. If you could find an image of him wearing this bracelet you would certainly add value to the piece and strengthen the provenance.

I hope this has assisted you but if you have any follow-up questions, lets keep chatting as I always strive for 5-star service. If you are satisfied with my answer please take a moment to rate me using the "Stars".

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Thank you so much, I did purchase it for $1125 and have been scouring the internet for pictures of Dean wearing this bracelet, I spoke with Ms. Herman the day I picked up the bracelet, she was very nice and knew right away the piece I was talking about. Ms. Herman told me she knows there was a letter from Gordon Bau's Girlfriend that she got when she acquired the bracelet, of course I did not get that letter with the sale. I am in no hurry so I am going to make this a project to find all the evidence I can to support its authenticity, then maybe put it back up for auction. Again, Thank you.

Thank you for your response to my answer. You have the right course of action for any collectible of this type. It may be helpful to reach out to the auction house that ran the first sale, perhaps they can provide you with additional information and perhaps Ms. Herman can provide you with a copy of the letter you mentioned. I'd continue to research 'backwards' as well compiling a personal database of sales and articles connected with Bau and his circle, you may find that by researching 'around' your piece you will find mention of your bracelet which can substantiate the provenance. You have likely already scoured through their images, but in case you have not, the James Dean Gallery Indiana has a wealth of images on their website, I had the proper link to images yesterday but they have been redesigning their website and I'm not sure whee the image portal is today, you may need to ask them to send you a direct link.

I wish you the best of luck and most importantly - have fun researching!

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

When you have a moment, if you have been satisfied with our correspondence and my answer would you rate my service using the "Stars"? I always strive for 5-star service and this is the only way I am compensated. Thank you.

Erin-Marie

Erin-Marie Wallace

Thank you kindly! By the way, this thread will remain open if you have any follow-up questions.

Cheers!

Erin-Marie