Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

FOR S. F.Y.I. This is not a duplicate question. (and that…

FOR ROBERT S.F.Y.I. This is...
FOR ROBERT S.F.Y.I. This is not a duplicate question. (and that was not for put in there for Robert S.)Hi Robert-I have what I think is a vintage oriental rice mosaic. The back of it is a very light wood and the front is covered with a piece of plexiglass (?) Thanks so much Lori
Sorry forgot to attach the pics.Lori
IMG_5046.jpgIMG_5046.jpgIMG_5048.jpgIMG_5048.jpgIMG_5051.jpgIMG_5051.jpgIMG_5052.jpgIMG_5052.jpgIMG_5054.jpgIMG_5054.jpgIMG_5055.jpgIMG_5055.jpgIMG_5050.jpgIMG_5050.jpg
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Lori,

Thanks for the Q. and photos of the rice painting.

Can you give me the dimensions (not including the frame).

Many thanks,
Robert.

If you measure it on the front, from the edge of the matting to the edge of the matting, it is 25" long X 11" high.
Thanks so much.

Hi Lori,

Thanks for the measurements, it's bigger than it looks in the photos.

This type of artwork made from a mosaic of tiny shells is yet another example of the endless ingenuity and whimsy of the Chinese when it comes to the decorative arts. If there's an abundance of a natural material, be it feathers, leaves, rice grains, sand, pebbles, even butterfly wings, they will 'paint' with it. This one appears to be made entirely with shells of the Chinese freshwater snail, Oncomelania hupensis, a universally common gastropod, so the painting could have been made anywhere within China. The various shell color morphs run the gamut of earth tones from pearl white through all the ochers & browns to dark sepia and almost black, so furnishing every hue needed to render a tigerskin in perfect color. It looks like the substrate is linen.

The picture is by an unknown (to me) artist. The artist's red seal (the top one) reads:

精品鼎画

Which doesn't pull up any listed name, but that's to be expected with this kind of work.

What we can be sure of, though, is the date. The top two characters in the column of black characters above the red seal read:

壬子

or Ren Zi which is the cyclical date code for 1972 so in four years time this one will be 'half antique' (50 years old).

As for value, these curiosities of shell art do seem to have their following. This particular example, in a similar frame, and a not so interesting subject, sold for $100 on line.

Tigers are popular. Yours would sell on line (eBay) or at auction in the $100 - $150 range. Full retail/replacement/auction value: $300.

Hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
I just cannot tell you how much I appreciate and value your knowledge and expertise. The history and provenance of items is more important to me than the actual value. (also important)
I have not received the kind of detailed answers and history that you have given to me from anybody, anywhere. I really missed my calling when I got stuck in retail management for 20 years and I find the history of most antiques fascinating. You really have an incredible wealth of knowledge. Thanks again-Lori