Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

FOR APPRAISER JM:. This piece came out of my grandmother's…

FOR APPRAISER JM:Hi Jennifer. This...
FOR APPRAISER JM:Hi Jennifer. This piece came out of my grandmother's safety deposit box more than 30 years ago. I would like to have this appraised as if it were a mine cut ruby or some other gem. On the back of this piece it says 925 and nothing else. My other question is: what is this? I cannot figure out what this would have been used for or what kind of jewelry this is.
Many Thanks Lori.
IMG_5119 - Version 2.jpgIMG_511...jpgIMG_5119.jpgIMG_5119.jpgIMG_5121.jpgIMG_5121.jpgIMG_5126.jpgIMG_5126.jpgIMG_5127.jpgIMG_5127.jpg
3/6/2018
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Sorry, I wasn't on last night! I'm researching this now and I'll get back to you.

Jennifer

.925 indicates that this is sterling silver. I suspect the stone is either a garnet. What is the size? I presume the hook is too big for it to be an earring, but I really can't tell scale in the photos.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jennifer,
Thank you, ***** ***** to remember to show the scale of items that are very small when I am sending in pictures. I took a picture with this piece next to an earring and it does look to big to be an earring and I don't think it is a shoe clip. I also went and got a small hand mirror and scratched it with the stone. Thanks so much for your help. Lori
IMG_5162.jpgIMG_5162.jpgIMG_5154.jpgIMG_5154.jpgIMG_5155.jpgIMG_5155.jpgIMG_5119 - Version 4.jpgIMG_511...jpgIMG_5157.jpgIMG_5157.jpgIMG_5119 - Version 3.jpgIMG_511...jpgIMG_5161 - Version 2.jpgIMG_516...jpg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jennifer-I just wanted to make sure that you received my additional pictures to try and show the scale of this piece of jewelry.
Thanks so much Lori

I did, thanks! Yesterday got a little crazy as we were preparing the house in case of another power outage (we're in a high impact area with this new storm, and the last one).

From my research, this appears to be a dress clip, a piece that would hang on the neckline. I'm attaching a photo of a similarly styled piece.

As discussed, it's sterling silver, but I am unsure of the stone. My best guess would be a garnet, but a jeweler would be needed to determine if it's a ruby, or actually paste.

Assuming it to be a garnet, the value would be around $125.00. But it's worth having the stone checked.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

AppraiserJM
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Jennifer. The weather Channel is about all I watch during the day while I'm working. My entire family is in Michigan and upstate New York. Stay safe. Thanks again Lori

Thanks! We are outside NYC off the Hudson River...hoping we don't get hit too hard today!

AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM