Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I found a very unique cast iron horse head hitching post…

Hi - I found...

Hi - I found a very unique cast iron horse head hitching post topper . I’ve never seen one like this before. I’m trying to find information about it - what city it may be from, how old

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is - and what it’s approximate worth may be.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I don’t have any info about it.

3/1/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Hopefully you will receive them.
82762352-05CC-4B03-82D0...jpeg827623...jpeg45E4236E-73AA-44DD-AF60...jpeg45E423...jpeg36C928CE-3C57-418B-9346...jpeg36C928...jpeg3FDCB703-EB9D-4B78-BD39...jpeg3FDCB7...jpeg

Thank you for the images.

What is the approximate size and are there any maker marks anywhere?

~Nora

It is approximately 14 inches tall to the top of the Rosette. It is almost 9 inches wide open parentheses at the widest point) - From the tip of his muzzle across to his mame. I did not find a makers Mark, but I am not sure where it would generally be located.
Sorry - I was dictating, and should have proofed before I sent it!
8220;From the tip of his muzzle across to his mane”

Hi There,

I have not found a match to this for you.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Jon
Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

If you are new to Just Answer, please read this:

Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now with the stars) for my efforts in answering your question.

If have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top right above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

This is certainly a very interesting and unique piece. Without any makers mark it will be very difficult to to know the exact county of origin and time period. With that being said, its design looks like it would be European. In fact this looks very similar to The ones on the street in the New Orleans French Quarter (with the exception of the Rosette). It looks to be mid 1800's. I would estimate the retail value in the $300 to $450 range.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jon only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first. Please remember to rate this answer.

Sincerely,

Jon

Do you know where a makers mark would typically be?
Are we still connected?

I would look near the base or bottom

Thank you - I will take another look when I get home. Can I respond to this thread?

Sure, that is not a problem.

Jon