Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a urn that was given to me by my grandmother. She…

I have a urn that...
I have a urn that was given to me by my grandmother. She said it was purchased at a antique store and she said they made two. She only purchased one. It is lime green with a picture of cherubs outlined in gold. One side says emarld and other looks like carl hennessy signed inside picture. I was wondering any information on this urn.
2/20/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Does it have any marks on the bottom? It looks like there is a signature on near the bottom of the scene. Would it be possible for you take a picture of that?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

It has nothing at bottom but two writings in picture. I will attach pictures. I have attached three pictures. First two is with the writing inside picture

Hi Dolores,

That's great. Thank you!

.
If you'll give me some time, I'll look these pictures over and see what I can put together for you.

~Diana

Ok thank you

Hi Dolores.

Thank you again and thank you for your patience.

.

With no marks, it's hard to say exactly who the porcelain factory was that produced it. It's signed Carl Larsen and Emerald. Carl Larsen was a noted artist known primarily for his classical figural paintings and scenes featured on Austrian porcelain. That would fit the style of your piece. Also, there is more than a handful of references tying Emerald to the Victoria porcelain company out of Carlsbad, Austria. Larsen also has ties to them. Here's a piece that's marked Victoria Carlsbad and features the same scene as your urn.

https://imgur.com/a/ahcPZ

.

Even though it's not marked, I thiink it's a Victoria piece from Carlsbad, Austria. It should date to about 1890.

.

It's a gorgeous piece. It's single handled urn on a pedestal that features a classical scene of 3 female figures in what looks a bit like a forest scene. It's set in a cartouche that's surrounded by a bright green background and lots of gold embellishments and accents.

.

It looks to be in excellent condition. Given that, it should have a resale value of about $150 to $200. It would have an insurance value of $300.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi Dolores,

Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

Best Wishes,

Diana