Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

FLOOR VASE URN. Excellent condition. Measures 22 inches

For Doris Only. FLOOR VASE...
For Doris Only. FLOOR VASE URN. Excellent condition. Measures 22 inches high. Vase opening is about 11X8 1/2 inches. Appears to be coppy or copper-colored. I have not polished. Did just the bottom to uncover mark. Has an interesting brass "flower frog" to insert flowers, I suppose. That's the way I used it. It is made especially to fit the vase.I have lots of photos. Attaching some. Let me know if you need more.
FLOOR VASE URN COMPLETE.jpgFLOOR V...jpgFLOOR VASE URN INSERT.jpgFLOOR V...jpgFLOOR VASE URN BASE.jpgFLOOR V...jpgFLOOR VASE URN HANDLE.jpgFLOOR V...jpgFLOOR VASE URN MARK2.pngFLOOR V...pngFLOOR VASE URN MARK.jpgFLOOR V...jpg
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hi, Mica.

Let me study your pictures.

Mica, this is by a known silversmith. It looks as though it has traces of silver left which would indicate it was originally plated silver over copper. What do you see in person?

Originally, I thought it was a mix as if the copper highlights the silver. Then again, it could very well be that the silver wore off due to polishing. Lots of black. I did not polish at all, other than to expose the mark.
I have had it since 1992 in this same condition. I probably polished it less than 6 times. I kinda' liked it unpolished..

I am almost positive this was originally plated silver. The sponsor (new word more exact than maker) was Elizur G Webster & Son ( Fred H Webster). This mark was used 1886-1928.

The firm was first established in 1859 by Elizur in 1859.

The style is basically Art Nouveau which fits a ca 1890-1915 period for this New York firm.

It was made as a centerpiece for flowers originally. The reason the frog insert is brass (?) is that silver does not stand up well to a prolonged contact with water.

The estimated retail value is $200-300.

Carefully polishing with a soft silver brush would help the look. Do not polish so much that you take out the darker definition of the design. You probably know not to use a dip or aluminium in sink method.

I hope this helps.

Positive, please.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Thank you. I am sure you're right. I must say that I like it as is. Would not want to restore. Trying to ask another question. Blocked, but I'm working on it. Also a large one.

I am so sorry thatyou have been blocked again. Sometimes questions do not go through when pictures are too large. Try sending the question first and see if that sends. If it does then try sending your pictures.

Thank you so much for the positive and bonus!

I tried every which way. So disappointing. I wouldn't care except that this is what Maureen K. said: I have received approval to offer you a coupon for asking free questions on our site. The coupon is valid from today through midnight UTC on 2/18/2018.
I guess I have to wait until after 2/19 to open an account. Or, maybe it's 2/20. I'll have a look.
had a nice day with my niece, Kay and her husband, Jack. And, then I made dinner. Jack can do anything except sing. He does so much for me. Kay does too.

Again, I am really sorry you are having so much trouble. Still, I am pleased you had a good day with family!

Sometimes nieces and nephews can be closer than children.

Is the vase called a vase or urn?
I never married. Have no children. I have nieces, nephews, grandnieces, grandnephews and, now, a precious great grandniece, Madeline Rey. She's Matthew's child and he is the one I am closest with. They live in Chicago. He just finished his PhD at Northwestern there.
I may not be able to connect with Maureen tomorrow, if they have a holiday there. President's day. I will email her tonight in any case. I think if she moves up the date when she cancelled my account, I could get a new account as early as tomorrow. In any event, I'll reach out to you when I can post Q's again.

Thank you. Again, I do enjoy working with you.

I have reported your account problems to the moderators.

Very nice of you. I think the problem is that they cancelled my account as of 2/19 and, in the meantime, are prohibiting me from asking questions. If they had cancelled it immediately, I would have been able to open a new account. Can't open an account when one already has an account!!!
Such bureaucracy!!!

It seems so. Let's see if the moderators help.

I appreciate your help.

Not a problem.

Is the vase called a vase or an urn? The one sent earlier.

I call it a centerpiece.

OK. I always used it on the floor.

!900 ceilings were very high.

You're right.
I forgot to answer about "silver dip." Yes, I know NOT to use them. Foam or Cream only is what I learned.
Are you busy tonight?

Not too much. I watched Victoria on PBS and now the Tower of London.

I'm about to go offline to watch some of the Olympics and to read. Have a good night!

Mica,

Here is the response I received to my report about your being blocked.

"Thank you for contacting Expert Support.

It looks like they were blocked due to overuse, they posted too many questions and their membership scheduled payment failed. I escalated this case to our admin team, they will be able to assist this customer further.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with."

Good morning, Doris. I am just now preparing an email to Maureen K. of Administration. I rejected a charge this morning attempted by JustAnswer for a 1 week trial again. As I mentioned, I would like to know the terms of one-month and annual membership before I decide. Let's see what Maureen has to say. If someone can tell me how many questions I can ask per month or year, I could make a decision and, of course, would abide by that. I just DID NOT KNOW there was a limit. They also cannot, arbitrarily charge my credit card account without my authorization. I did approve 3 "expert bonuses" - $10 on 2/15, $7 on 2/17 and $7 on 2/18.
Actually, Maureen K. is with Customer Care.
Did you ever find the significance of that incised 3 leaf clover, if any?

Yes, you should ask exactly how many questions you are allowed to post for each type of membership.

I am almost positive you will not be able to sign up with another 7 day free trial.

I am not sure which question you are asking about.

Perhaps it did not go through at this end?

I believe I have answered al the questions you posted?

Can you send me a link the one u are asking about?

Well, that's what they were attempting to charge me for. Renewing my 7-day membership. You have answered all of my questions except that one. I will see which item it was for and revert to you.
It was for the 4 piece warming dish with the warming lamp. WM. HUTTON. At the opposite end of the mark, it has a three leaf clover with stem incised.
VERY tiny 3 leaf clover.

https://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/8a14f0531ace464294e537e651a68b8e#re.v/2165/

Is this the "leaf" question?

There is no picture or mention of a "leaf" or "clover" mark??

I did not mention it. I had not seen it when I asked the question. I asked you later. It was for the 4 piece warming dish with the warming lamp. WM. HUTTON. At the opposite end of the mark, it has a three leaf clover with stem incised. Very very tiny.

If you do not post additional questions about an item on the same page as the item question, I probably never see it.

Let me see what I can find. It is either a date code or journey man ID of the actual silversmith. Each silver firm often had several silver workers.

No. It is simply a very very tiny 3-leaf clover with a stem.
tiny I can't photograph. Will try again.
I may have succeeded with photo. On next Q, I will include. So, forget it for now. OK?

OK but I strongly suspect that it is a worker's mark.

I like that word, journeyman.

Very descriptive Britsh word and close to that of an apprentice.

I looked it up.

Good.

Wish I would hear from Maureen K. Although I don't have many photos. Just perhaps 3 or 4 items.

She may not be on duty today.

See other methods of contact. You probably will get another member of the customer help team. Mention that the moderator Victoria in Expert Help has elevated your problems to the Admin after after I contacted her.

Site Charges:

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.

If you wish to discuss site charges, see this link.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

OR

Email address:

***@******.*** (send no photos - special instructions)

Or by phone:

US/Canada 1.***-***-**** OR 1.***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

I have tried that link before and, again, just now. It does not work. It comes up as a Bad Request.

I am sorry. Let me see if I can locate the newer one.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

It works for me. Try signing in first then click the link I am sending here.

Or try called one or both of the toll free numbers for USA and Canada.

I am signed in. Wish I weren't and I could just get a new subscription. Just had response from Customer Care. Someone will get back to me. Here's my email to them: Dear Maureen,
Reference my 7-day trial membership with you, I did not authorize the amount of $48 which JustAnswer
attempted to charge to my credit card account today, apparently to renew a 1-week membership. I did authorize
three charges for $7, $7 and $10 for Expert Bonus, all of which I did authorize.
As I stated previously, it was my intention to take either a one month or an annual membership.
I did not appreciate JustAnswer arbitrarily charging my account. I also have reviewed all of the fraud charges
claimed against JustAnswer that, quite frankly, don't bother me since my interest is in all of the useful
information your "experts" have available to them. And, I am sure some of those fraud charges are
unsubstantiated. I am not an unreasonable person. Spent a lot of years in business myself.
I have worked with Doris and find her to be knowledgeable and, I believe, reputable.
I will, just one more time, attempt to find your terms of service for the one month and annual memberships.
If you can provide that information to me, I would be grateful.
As I may have mentioned to you before, each time I attempted to cancel my membership,
I received the message that I did not have an account. Each time I tried to open a membership, I received
the message that I already had an account.
Sincerely,
Mica

What a mess! I contacted customer help, too. That's why you received that last message.

Hopefully, you will hear from someone again soon.. I have never heard anything about a Maureen but I never have dealings with a specific person in Customer Help.

Try using the***@******.*** address without addressing to Maureen. She most probably is not on duty today. You obviously need someone who can answer you sooner rather than later.

BTW, even when I click on the link sent to me by Customer Care for Terms of Service, I get the same Bad Request message. Bizarre. Customer Care did answer my email to Maureen. Said they will get back to me.

That was an automated reply. She is probably not on duty today at all.

Going offline to polish some items. Back in awhile.

Good. Help will eventually come.

Really uneasy now. I cannot tell you how many times I've asked "how many questions I can ask during a one month membership period." The most recent email reply said that they do not offer an annual membership. I've had numerous responses to my emails and they absolutely will not answer that question. It just gives the appearance of a "scheme," and that is too bad since I am sure they have many reputable and knowledgeable "experts"!

One customer I am aware of was told that a monthly subscription customer can ask 12 to 13 questions per month before being blocked. I am 90% sure that is correct.

The small amounts they charged you were for the bonuses you gave to the site and me.

I am aware that those charges were bonuses. For you. I did not give any bonuses to the site. Or can they arbitrarily take a bonus for the site?

They take part of it. Did you see what I know about the number of questions you are allowed per month?

Saw the number. I am sure I asked more than that in 7 days. Going offline to have dinner and will follow instructions last person gave to me to re-new the membership. Interesting though that my credit card company did not approve the charge they put through, but sent me a fraud alert. I did read all of the fraud charges. A lot. Of course, we can't be sure they're all genuine. Could be whiners...!!!
Just received. Furthermore, before the membership was cancelled on 2/19/2018. It shows that you signed up for an unlimited membership at JustAnswer.com. Here is some information about the membership for your reference:• You will be charged the membership fee one time per month $48.
• There are no additional charges for asking new questions
• You only need to post your question once -- all qualified Experts can view it
• Be sure to follow up on your original question page once your Expert replies
• Choose to leave a positive rating after you've received a helpful answer so the Expert can be paid
• Bonuses to Experts are optional and are not included in your monthly membership fee
• Premium Services such as Phone Calls are optional and not included in the monthly membership fee

Well, know that you know how the site works, you can have a monthly membership going forward. No, the reports online come from those who do not read the fine print or have been given low values on their "treasures." There are many categories that Just Answer answers questions in...legal, health, cars, equipment, electronics, to name a few.

Sometimes we run into rude customers who cannot be pleased. I have found that some will say something online they would not say in person.

I am glad you received a rather complete response.

The fine print may say that they have the right to block account if too many questions are asked. I'm waiting for call back from Royce of JustAnswer, to reinstate account.

Good. I hope you do not have to wait long.

I plan to work this evening.

Not tonight. It will take "up to 24 hours for account to activate."

Too bad but I will be on tomorrow evening as well. "See" you then or earlier if you are approved more quickly. ;D

Great. Have a good night.

You, too.

Hi Micah,Thank you for your note.You should be able to post at least 26 questions a month with no issue.Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns by replying to this email and I will assist further.
From Chase, Senior Customer Support Specialist

Fabulous!

Had an email this morning from Customer Care. Asking me to combine items into one Q. Is that because you are paid per Q? That's my guess. Will send you their email in a minute.

Yes, JA pays me per question... a portion of what u pay them. If my answers are not rated or do not receive a positive, I am not paid. JA then keeps all of what the customer pays.