Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I think I might have an original Winslow Homer painting. I…

I think I might...

I think I might have an original Winslow Homer painting

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I got it at thrift store for 6 dollars and ninety-nine cents I know it's Winslow Homer I went through his whole catalog of works and doesn't exist on the catalogs that works

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It's a three little boys playing in the cotton field Of

Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/18/2018
rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hello there

My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you in your question today. Thank you or using JustAnswer to solve your question.

I have seens the pictures, and the painting matches the style of Winslow Homer. I suppose that you came to this name because of the signature right?

What do you want to know about the painting? Value? history?

Thanks

I don't know anything about it I was hoping you could help me?

Sure, I will do, one moment while I write the answer

What could it be worth?

Winslow Homer (February 24, 1836 – September 29, 1910) was an American landscape painter and printmaker, best known for his marine subjects. I have taken a look at the pictures you uploaded and the style matches this author. I was not able to find any painting in the catalog available online-though sometimes this is not complete. At this point there two option:

1. You have a painting originally made by W. Homer.

2. You have a limited edition print-a limited edition means that it is a print, but with the real signature from the artist.

In both cases for 6$ is a bargain. In principle, if it is a painting, you should be able to see some roughness in the painting, while if a print, the surface is flat.

Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.

The value will be in the range of 190-220$.

Limited edition print: 150-250$

I went to in a Winslow Homer exhibit and I examined his paintings. I could tell it was amazing. I knew where his style of artwork. The last known private piece went to Bill Gates 30 million dollars

For a real painting: 3 Million$

It's on canvas

Definetlely, if it is genuine painting, the minimum value would be 3 million-these are normally sell in an auction

Could you set me up with an auction to sell it?

I would recommend to sell your unit through a direct sell, but in your case it would be much better to sell through a big auction house. I would contact both Christies, Bonhams or Sothebys, they have a good record on past auction sales of W. Homer. They can also help authenticating the painting.

Please, kindly, could you rate my answer with 5 stars rating located on top of the page? I will not be paid unless you rate with 5 stars, so it is quite important to me!

Thanks

Yes, I think so. If this one is original, you made an incredible purchase

Please, dont forget to click into the stars on top!! thanks again

rusufdavi
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Phone call session started