Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

More than 20 years ago at an auction 2 Franz Lefler

chromolithographs were purchased. They...
More than 20 years ago at an auction 2 Franz Lefler chromolithographs were purchased. They both are framed and under glass. There are no scratches or rips. It would appear they are backed by cardboard. Their sizes are approximately 24 inches high and 51 inches long. The colors are clear and really pop. It would appear that the Lindburg name is ***** ***** the lithograph. Attached is a photo of one of them.
2/18/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank you for your
patience.I'm reviewing the question

The two pictures are the same. Can you send a picture of the second piece?

Give me a few minutes to type my answer.

We need to check something before I type my answer.

Please take a good magnifying glass close to a dark area of the piece.

Do you see any tiny white spots or tiny dots of color in a pattern?

These chromos are at my older friend's home and she asked me to help her with this. I do know when I asked her the same question, she told me she could see patterns of dots.

Then this is a first half of the 20thC print of one of the original Victorian chromolithographs.

"Franz Lefler (1831, Langenbruck (now Dlouhý Most (de)), Bohemia - 19 June 1898, Weissenbach an der Triesting) was an Austrian painter.

After his studies at the Academies of Fine Arts in Vienna and Prague, he settled in Vienna in 1858. He mainly painted allegories, portraits of children, genre and history paintings, ceiling and wall murals, and theater curtains.

He spent his summers in Weissenbach an der Triesting with his friend Camillo Walzel, Director of the Theater an der Wien, where he painted murals and frescoes on the walls of the local hotels and villas.

Many of his paintings show an attempt to combine the influences of Ancient Egyptian Art and Makartstil. He was especially interested in the subject of children in pictorial representation, and often painted socially critical themes.

His son Heinrich was also a painter, as well as a scenic designer and Professor at the Academy in Vienna."

Source:
"Franz Lefler", Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Lefler

As a large framed print copy of a chromolithograph, the estimated value is $550-700 for each of your pieces.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Thank you. I already knew most of this information. Do you have any idea of the title of the first piece sent to you with the children playing?

It is the Marriage Dream in some references and the Wedding Dream in others.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Doris

I was referring to the children at play like they are pulling each other in a cart.

Wrong one.. I thought that was the first. Let me see if I can locate the other.

I have researched over 4 subscription art sites and 3 books. This first Putti print is not there.

I truly wish I had better news.

You seemed rather disappointed with the information I gave with my complete answer. Most of our customers do not know much about what they have. We have no way I knowing how much they know. That is why I give as much information I know or can find in my references.

If you wish, I can opt out (release your question) so that perhaps another pro might know more.

Again, I am very sorry I could not find the name of the other piece.

Let me know.

Kind regards,

Doris

Thank you for your time and response. I had previously researched these prints. Am not disappointed in your response: you verified they were prints and not the original chromo; appreciated the appraisal; but, had hoped that in the end we would have been able to find the name of that one piece of work. It seems rare at least based on my hours of internet research. Again thank you for your time and assistance.

Yes, it is rare but, as you may know, that does not make it worth more. In the end, it is a print of the original.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************