Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a large (12 piece) set of Black Knight china, a

I have a large...

I have a large (12 piece) set of Black Knight china, a floral pattern, yellow and gold, waffle yellow on rims..dinner plates, luncheon plates, B&B plates. I am trying to get an idea of its worth - am thinking of donating it to a resale shop my church supports and don't know what to claim for tax purposes. On the Replacements website it is one of the last patterns pictures, and they are out of stock on it. They gave it pattern code Blk111, description Floral panels and Center, yellow panels, discontinued, Item #227101

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Waffle yellow as well as flowers on rim

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/17/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

You mention that it's a set for 12. What's in a set of 12 can vary. If it's not too much trouble, can you tell me exactly what pieces you have in your set?

Thanks,
Diana

12 dinner plates, 12 luncheon plates, 2 B&B plates. When I married I purchased a german pattern that coordinates in order to have salad plates and cups and saucers (regular size) They are yellow/white with gold and flowers as well...........look like they were made to go together with the Black Knight, but I don't know the maker or pattern, just that they were expensive and are very nice
don't need a phone call
nothing is even chipped - I barelyever used it

Thank you. Without a mark, I can't tell you made the German pieces, but if you can send a picture of those extras you bought, I can see about valuing those too.

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

I have already donated the German china, so I will just have to take a stab at it...............no photos. But the Replacements LTD. website has the Black Knight pattern on it - its on the last page of their website

Hi. I understand.

.

I can still value the Black Knight set for you though. Black Kight was actually a trade label. It was used by CM (Carl Magnus) Hutschenreuther for some of their export pieces during the very late 1800s to about the mid 1900s.

.
That's a pretty pattern. Blk111 or Black Knight #111 is what you would used for your pattern name. Like most German companies, records are spotty at best and most of their official pattern names were lost over time. Sites like replacemets have done a pretty good job about giving them modern codes and most replacement sites and collectors go by those numbers.

.

is a discontinued pattern so some of your pieces might be harder to find. That can not only raise the value, but helps with how collectible it is. I can actually give you prices both individually and as a set so you'll know the value of each piece and as a set. Here is a breakdown value for your pieces:

.

12 dinner plates - $20 to $25 each

12 luncheon plates - $15 to $20 Each

12 bread/butter plates - $5 to $10 each

As a whole set, it should have a resale value around $450 to $600. It will have an insurance value of $850. $850 is what you would claim as the donation for taxes.

.

.

That should do it, but if I missed anything, please let me know.
.

If you change your mind and think about selling it, keep in mind that you're welcome to ask whatever you like or bargain with any sellers, but this is what your set is actually worth. The reason I broke it down is because sometimes you can get a higher value by breaking the set up or by piecing it out. Like you mentioned, it helps to know what each piece is worth.

.

Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower price range.
.

I can give you a few ideas for selling if you're interested. For selling, Etsy and Amazon's marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. There is also Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic. They're more like online antique shops. They do cost a bit more to list there, but they get higher prices. Etsy is a good alternative if you want some place with lower listing fees. They have the lowest rates around right now.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. Ebay, like with any auction, you can expect about 1/2 of the actual value. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

Have a great weekend,

~Diana

.

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

.

Best Wishes,
Diana