Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

To S only This is a little pitcher, only about 4” tall & 3”

To Robert S onlyThis is...
To Robert S onlyThis is a little pitcher, only about 4” tall & 3” wide on bottom, with what appears to have sterling silver lid. The sliver lid clips on & off the glass part. It has a slight inverted circle on bottom. I have no idea what it would have been used for. It has a delicate design on outside. Oh wait, I was trying to clean the top to see if there was any marking on it. I haven’t found any sterling silver cleaner around here, but I did find an insignia on tab under handle that I can read! “HAWKES over the 3 circles over STEP INC 2044”. On the bottom side of the lid is “21” on the underside of the tab & again on the underside of rim.
2/17/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi!

Just to let you know I got your little pitcher and photos.

Answer on its way soon.

Many thanks,
Robert

Hi!

This one is quite straightforward, so I'll be brief.

Your very pretty little pitcher/creamer is a perfect match to the oil & vinegar cruet and the other Hawkes piece, so they are all the same set. Now that you've confirmed the Hawkes mark, we cannot be in any doubt that the other two pieces are Hawkes as well.

It's all decorated in the same delightful pattern of grey-etched (aka wheel-cut) florals, bowknots and garlands.

What you transcribed as "STEP INC" actually says "STERLING" (sometimes the letters are poorly struck) so this cover is indeed sterling silver. (The other numbers we can ignore as they are internal factory production codes and mold numbers.)

It was issued by Hawkes as a syrup pitcher and dates to the first quarter of the 1900s.

This example of your pitcher sold on line for $50 which is about the low end for one of these.

I would give yours an auction/eBay range of $50 - $100. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $200.

Hope this does the trick!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.