Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I recently bought this antique womens two piece belt buckle…

I recently bought this antique...
I recently bought this antique womens two piece belt buckle at an auction. It is a gorgeous piece and has a makers mark on its back. The mark is an oval with C&R in the middle, the & symbol is on a triangle. I would like to find out any information about the maker of this buckle? I want to find out how old it is and what type of resale value it will have on an Ebay type market? Thank you for your help.
0123182027c.jpg0123182...jpg0123182028.jpg0123182...jpg0123182029.jpg0123182...jpg0123182030.jpg0123182...jpg0123182030a.jpg0123182...jpg0123182031.jpg0123182...jpg
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/24/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Thank you.

It may take a bit to locate the maker.

The mark on this silver belt buckle is that of Coles & Reynolds of New York dating ca 1872-1876. This firm was later that of George Schiebler, a very famous silversmith. This connection enhances the value of your buckle.

The design is very early Art Nouveau.

The estimated retail value would be $350-400 in a high end store.

The estimated retail value if you sell privately would be $300-350.

An eBay sale would result in about $170-250.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser