Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a small table top radio that looks like it is cream…

I have a small...

I have a small table top radio that looks like it is cream colored celluloid. It is AM only. I can't find any info for it. Can you help? Diane

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have a small cream colored AM radio that looks like celluloid. It still has its original cord. It is approximately 8" x 6" with two dials at the base with the band between them. The speaker is above. Do you have any ideas?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

On the bottom is a paper label that says: Wards Air (torn here) Model 74BR-15028 - Ivory.

1/24/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

I know just the one you're talking about. It's called the Airline or Air-line. It was made in the US by Belmont Radio Corp. for Montgomery, Ward and Co. It's actually bakelite, which very similar to celluloid. It's a super-heterodyne broadcast receiver with 6 am circuits. It's an old tabletop model. The model should actually be a 74BR-1502B. The B is easily mistaken for an 8. It also came in a walnut version and you might run across a few custom paint jobs too. It actually sold in 1946/1947 for just $16.95, which was a little to everyone back then.

.

They're great little collector pieces.

.

In good condition, it's worth about $65 to $80.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.

.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.

.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

I look forward to working with you again.

.

I hope you have a great evening.

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do please let me know

.

Best Wishes,
Diana