Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have (I believe) a 1950s era end table, oak leaf marking…

I have (I believe)...

I have (I believe) a 1950s era end table, oak leaf marking underneath. can I send you a few pics?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

About 24 inches diameter, round, three legs, two levels, oak leaf stamp very hard to read

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Well I'm sure but I have photos which might actually be more helpful to identify

1/23/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Please send photos of the end table.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

I have pictures of the table which will be better than my description I'm sure....please see attached.
threetable4.jpgthreeta...jpgthreetable2.jpgthreeta...jpgthreetable1.jpgthreeta...jpgthreetable3.jpgthreeta...jpg

Thank you for the photos.

What does it say inside the leaf. It begins American but I cannot see the other two lines.

That is as clear as it gets. High res photo.

Can you see parts of the two lines in person, please?

34;An American" is all I can see in person too....
Fourth word looks like ends in "duet" perhaps because two levels?

I am trying to find a match. Allow a bit of time for this.

No worries. I hope you find something -I've had the table forever - curious as heck about it. Thank you.

Found it.

This table was made by the Oak Leaf Imported Furniture Co located in India. Many USA furniture makers have been put out of business during the last half of the 20thC into this century by the furniture companies in India. In addition to modern designs, they are very skilled in making reproductions.

The Bombay retail furniture stores here in the US, carry many of those lovely reproduction.

Your round table is an Oak Leaf Imported Furniture Co machine made reproduction of an early American piece. While the exact words inside the stamp are not possible to read, they probably describe the company name for the piece.

The table dates 1970s-80s when the Oak Leaf company first was established.

The estimated retail value is $80-150.

I truly wish I had better news.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Thanks Doris. Well still looks cool to me!

Yes.

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************