Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My 6 piece tea set includes only teacups, saucers and bread…

My 6 piece tea...

My 6 piece tea set includes only teacups, saucers and bread plates. My British grandmother said it came from her grandmother. The base colours are brown, gold and ivory.The plates have a gold rim. They haThe cups are

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

There's no makers markings on the pieces at all. The plates have a bed warmer and bellows painted on them. The cups are ivory coloured within and a metallic brown outer.

1/23/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

I am not sure what you mean by a "six piece tea set." Do you mean your tea set serves 6 people?

If so, are there 18 pieces consisting of 6 cups, 6 saucers and 6 small plates?

If not, what 6 pieces do you have?

Kind regards,

Doris

18 pieces
My grandmother was born in Mirfield, Yorkshire, England. If that means anything. I know nothing else of the set other than she said sometimes she could see a face in the glaze of the plates.

Thank you.

This is an interesting, fun, novelty set most likely created by the artisans in Japan in mid to late 20thC. Imports are often not required to be marked with country of origin if the original boxes are marked. As unmarked pieces, it is impossible to know the exact name of the maker.

The estimated retail value would be $150-200 in a high end shop.

If you are selling retail privately, the asking price should be $100-150.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com
Replacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk
ReplaceYourChina.com

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Thank you Doris.
I was hoping there would be a more definitive answer.
As my grandmother is no longer with us. I guess I was hoping for a little more insight as to the history of the set.
Not your problem!
Enjoy your day :)

I truly wish I could have given you more exact information but I searched and searched for this particular pattern but I could not find it. It is a mystery for the moment.

Thank you for understanding and the positive.