Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I purchase a captain Davenport writing desk and would to…

I purchase a captain...

I purchase a captain Davenport writing desk and would to find out if is an antique

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Dovetail drawers, round irregular nails, pegs for reinforcement, non symmetrical carvings

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Wood does not seem to be cut by a circular saw

1/23/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

What is the size of the desk in inches?

May I know how much you paid?

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the desk/

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the desk.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

33in by 21.5in
050ED245-C6F3-43D3-853C...jpeg050ED2...jpeg49B33689-74C2-4161-AAC1...jpeg49B336...jpeg60CBB238-2873-4D6B-9667...jpeg60CBB2...jpeg67B67CBA-CC21-4B9E-9A5F...jpeg67B67C...jpeg05EF0D3A-E394-4A91-AAE1...jpeg05EF0D...jpeg8984717A-517D-4483-BEEA...jpeg898471...jpeg824B8185-548E-45D6-B70D...jpeg824B81...jpeg7D2CAF9F-4E60-4926-8837...jpeg7D2CAF...jpegF850AAAB-C464-47DD-8C83...jpegF850AA...jpeg859367FA-4E19-4A60-80EF...jpeg859367...jpeg
Call me tomorrow

********************
I do not normally participate in the extra charge phone call services. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send the offer.

It is possible that another professional may choose to call you. I will still continue to work with you in writing.

********************

Please tell me if there are any screws in this desk? If so, what kind?

Also, please compare the color of the bottom of the bottom side drawer to the color of the bottom of the top side drawer.

In old furniture with drawers, the underneath side of the lowest drawer should be darker than the underneath side of the highest drawer.

Please let me know about this and any screws.

Lower drawer is darker than top. Hinges have flat head slot screws. And drawer handles have pan head slot screws. Do not see any other screw. The small drawers on top have wooden knob handles no attachment inside the drawers, must be pegged in.

The fact that the underneath side of the bottom drawer is darker tells us this is an antique piece and not a recent reproduction. Dust and dirt over time darken the bottom side. Machine made screws were not available until the 19thC. Also, earlier hand made screws were very expensive to make and not often used in multiples.

As a 19thC Victorian Davenport desk, this would have an estimated retail value of $4000-5000 in a high end shop.

If you are reselling retail privately, you can expect to realize $3500-3900.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating and bonus! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Phone call session started
Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser