Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We have a painting, if the story behind it is accurate, was…

We have a painting...

We have a painting, if the story behind it is accurate, was done on a battlefield in France in 1917 using grease and oil used to grease the tools of war. It was given to a local veterinarian and a captain in the Canadian Field Artillery. His job was to care for the war horses and dogs. The painting was done and given to him in recognition of his work.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

The painting was donated to our Legion by one of our members who was the son of the WW 1 vet.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

painting is 29" x 24"

Thank you for the images.

May I please know specifically what information you are seeking on this?

~Nora

Would like to continue through chat thank you.

Sure, whichever method you prefer is fine.

~Nora

Before donating the art to the Canadian War Museum I would like to have some idea of it's value if it has any.
The painting has been re-framed but the original frame is still on it as well.

Okay, understood.

Thank you for the additional information.

Please allow me some time to write the assessment.

I will post it here shortly when complete.

~Nora

thanks.

Thank you for your patience.

Though commonly associated with carved artillery heads, this is a form of 'trench art'.

World War I militaria items are collectible and thus far has maintained a steady and rising market.

Though the artist is unknown it was given as a 'presentation gift' to commemorate an event involving the Canadian Field Artillery in France in October 1917 and the special aid that the Captain and career veterinarian gave in leading and tending to the vulnerable animals conscripted to war. The material and mediums used certainly do corroborate when seeing the texture and tones of the surface.

Original art from the battlefields of World War I is not uncommon as at least almost every troop and group would have a young capable artist amongst them (including many promising and talented ones taken too early). There was a fair amount of idle time between incursions to spend drawing or painting for an artist - even professional artists were sent by the US Military ( https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/remembering-americas-official-artists-war-180952321/ )

With that said, this presentation work is a primitive folk art style that was 'witness' to the arena in World War I. Comparables works do come up to auction and for sale on the private market. A fair market value would be $3000USD - $4000USD or $3725CAD - $4980CAD

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you.

Sincerely,

Nora