Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

To S Here are three pieces of glass wear that are pink in…

To Robert SHere are three...
To Robert SHere are three pieces of glass wear that are pink in color. I don’t know if they are a set or not. The round plate is about 9”. The oval platter is about 8” wide & 12” long. The covered bowl is about 8 1/2 long by 5” wide. The covered bowl appears to be darker in color. They all have a sunburst in the bottom. The cover of the bowl has etched flowers on the top.
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpg
1/22/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Thanks! Leave these three pieces with me and I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks! No rush. You’ll be getting a lot more!!

(1) Oval divided dish and cover.

This is a classic example of pink depression glass with an etched pattern of lattice and flowers that qualifies it to be grouped in an additional category, namely 'elegant glass' which was an up-market version of glassware that included more vibrant colors than depression glass. Elegant glass was also additionally embellished with designs created by acid etching, enamel decoration, gold encrustation and, as in this case, cutting. Here the pattern is hand cut using a diamond wheel, and this particular design dates the piece to the early 1930s.

Many of the glass factories of the day made similar etched patterns, and vary few of the pieces are marked, so it's often impossible to attribute a maker for certain. In this case, the closest I can get would be Lancaster glass who produced a number of these floral and lattice patterns. As for value, elegant glass is not as popular as it once was and prices for it are not exactly stellar, which is a shame considering the skill and labor and technical know-how that went into creating it, not to mention the fact that it has survived all these years, nearly ninety in this instance. If you saw it for sale in an antique store this covered oval serving dish would be priced at $75. This would also be the replacement value for insurance.

Expect to get 30% to 40% if you were to sell at auction.

(2) Miss America by Anchor Hocking divided relish dish.

This pattern of depression glass we do know all about as it was some of the most popular and mass produced glass of its day. The pattern is called "Miss America" and made by Anchor Hocking who issued it from 1935 - 1938. At just short of 9 inches in diameter, this makes it a relish dish.

It has a full retail/replacement/insurance value of $25.

(3) Oval platter "Holiday Buttons & Bows" by Jeanette. 12.5".

This is also a much loved pattern in the world of depression glass collecting, called "Holiday Buttons & Bows" or "Holiday" for short and made by Jeannette Glass, Jeanette Pennsylvania and made for only a couple of years from 1947 - 1949.

The oval platter is one of the harder-to-find forms in "Holiday". It has a full retail/replacement/insurance value of $120. Expect to get $40 - $60 for it if you were to sell at auction or on line.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S.