Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

To S Here are two more sets of salt & pepper shakers. The…

To Robert S Here are two...
To Robert S
Here are two more sets of salt & pepper shakers. The tallest is about 3 inches. The both appear to have sterling silver tops. They each have one top that has stars on it. Was that used at some point to do indicate it was the salt shaker? There are no markings I can find on either set. Any help?
1/22/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi!

This is Robert here again. Thanks for the additional shakers. Can you re-send the photos, they did not appear to 'stick' this end.

Many thanks,
Robert.

These two sets are a lot older than the "Post House" ones and are charming little period pieces from the Gilded Age, late 1800s to early 1900s.

They are classed as American Brilliant Period (APB) crystal with characteristic deep cutting and extravagantly enriched detail. These tops are almost certainly sterling in this instance, but it would be nice to see the word "STERLING" stamped somewhere, so as to be sure, though the difference to the value either way is not that much. There's only a handful of grams of metal in each.

(1) Ribbed set with rococo pattern tops

This pair date to the period 1890 - 1916 and probably by Pitkin & Brooks who specialized in condiment sets and open salts. The vertical ribbing with additional cutting is known as "notched & zippered prism" The silver tops are beautifully decorated with repousse rococo design of florals and scrolls and, yes, the difference in perforation shapes for the holes is to distinguish pepper from salt, so these are a true pair. These would sell at auction in the $50 - $75 range. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $150 for the pair.

(2) Baluster shaped shaker set.

This pair are of a similar or perhaps a slightly earlier date. The pattern consists of "sharp diamond" around the lower portion and "pillar" cutting or fluting around the neck and a starburst on the base. These are beautifully shaped and, as such, quite rare.

Even though smaller, they would have the same or slightly greater value than the others. $60 - $80 at auction, full retail/replacement/insurance value: $160.

Hope this is helpful!

Best wishes,

Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S.