Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

To S This is a set of salt & pepper shakers & a third piece…

To Robert S This is a...
To Robert S
This is a set of salt & pepper shakers & a third piece I don’t know what is. They are about 5 inches tall. The sticker in the fron says “Imported Leadcrystal Hand Cut”. There is a tiny sticker on the bottom that says “Post House Japan”. The tops appear to be sterling silver. Since my mother-in-law was not a saver, I assume this has value but maybe sentimental only.
1/22/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi!

Many thanks for the salt & pepper shaker Q. and photos.

Do the tops have "925" or "STERLING" stamped on them anywhere?

Best wishes,
Robert.

Not that I see.

No "925" or "STERLING", thanks for checking, and is what I expected as all the ones I have seen of these have silver-plated or chrome-plated tops, but you never know, there are always exceptions, but sadly not in this case.

There are three, I presume, to accommodate the fashion for white pepper (spicier, fruitier) during the 20th century. It came pre-ground. So there would have been one each for white pepper, salt and whole black pepper. Alternatively, the third one could have been for cinnamon for dusting a hot chocolate or apple pie.

The set dates to the 1950s and "Post House" were a US based import and distribution company that specialized in cut crystal giftware, cigarette lighters and tableware of this sort, all fabricated in Japan.

They don't have a whole lot of resale value. The sets in their original boxes like this one, sell for around $50 on line so I would give your set an eBay/auction value in the range of $15 - $25. Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $50.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.