Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a set of 12 knives that are very old, They have horn…

I have a set...

I have a set of 12 knives that are very old

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

They have horn handles, and are hand stamped "DRLYER A GUEBWILLER". They are in a velvet lined leather box with a ribbon like label across upper right hand corner. On the top "Andreas Hauter", middle "Ferme", and bottom "Isenheim ((0.-E)

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I have pictures

1/22/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
They were owned by a woman who came from Germany over a hundred years ago

This is a set of 1910's stainless steel knives with bone handles

made by maker Dreyler of Guebwiller, France

and retailed at a shop named Andreas Hauter in Isenheim, Germany.

The boxed set of 12 have a value of $120 to $150 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get five-star feedback for answers.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The stamp on the blade says Drlyer not Dreyler

Typo on my part, it is DREYER.

To end this one, please click the stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
DRLYER NOT DREYER. It shows better on some of the other knives.

I'd like to see the mark on another knife that might be more clear, thanks!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I will get a picture. Also wasn't stainless steel invented in 1913?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Can you verify this knife maker?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Is there anyone there?

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
OK. I'll be here
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help.

The maker of the set is DREYER. The first E in the name has a lighter touchmark on the stamp, which makes it quickly appear like an L, but is indeed an E.

They were made in Guebwiller which is in Northeastern France.

The material is 'A' quality carbon steel and the handles are bone.

These were sold around 1890 through the dealer shop, Andreas Hauter in Isenheim, which although it a German sounding name, is actually located in France and neighbors Guebwiller (both of which are close to the German border).

Your antique late Victorian era French boxed bone-handled cutlery set has a high value of $200 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
There is no way that the third letter is an E. Every knife is stamped a little differently and not one even suggests that the third letter is an E

I do quite promise you that the maker name is ***** ***** not Drlyer. The punch die was worn on the letter E.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
That may be the case. If so where would I sell these?

Though it may sound cliche, the best platform for you to sell these is on Ebay. It is where the most potential buyers would first go to search for such items. You can also try listing on Craigslist, through a for sale forum group on Facebook or a local consignment shop. I do not recommend selling direct to a dealer, as a dealer will offer 10% - 30% of the lowest perceived value.

~Nora

Nora
Nora
Nora